- "I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"
- ―Han Solo
Tauntauns (pronounced /ˈtɔːn-tɔːn/) were a species of non-sentient lizards native to the snowy plains of Hoth. They were used by members of the Rebel Alliance after they domesticated some of them when they built their new headquarters on Hoth.
Sure-footed and furry, the tauntauns were well adapted to the daytime temperature on Hoth, although they could not handle the chilling extremes of the night, which often reached below −60°C. They had scaly skin beneath their heavy layers of fur and secreted thick, pungent oils to attract mates. Tauntauns had two sets of nostrils, one large and one small. The large set was used for maximum oxygen intake during intense physical activity, while the small set was used during inactive periods and grazing, to keep out snow. Tauntauns could also alternate breathing between the two sets of nostrils, allowing them to regulate body heat.
Their long claws helped them climb icy surfaces and scrape away lichen and small ice plants which often grew in glacial caves and grottos, the crevices serving as their homes due to heat from the planet's core often coming up through the openings. Sunlight that passed through the ice of the caves allowed the small plants to grow, thus providing a source of food for the creatures.humans due to layers of fatty blubber that helped them acclimate to the temperatures of Hoth, but was apparently nothing compared to the smell from the inside of a fresh tauntaun corpse.
There were fifteen varying tauntaun subspecies, all of which were prey to the towering wampa ice creatures. As they were swift, docile and able to run at speeds up to 90 kph, they were often able to outrun their wampa predators and could use their horns for combat if necessary.
Tauntauns could be domesticated for various purposes. When the Alliance to Restore the Republic established their new headquarters on Hoth, they utilized the native tauntauns as mounts owing to the planet's cold temperatures occasionally shutting down their T-47 airspeeders in the morning. Kept in pens, the tauntauns were ultimately released from captivity when the Galactic Empire invaded the planet during the Battle of Hoth.[source?]
Behind the scenesEdit
When tauntauns first appeared in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, they were represented on screen through a combination of puppetry and stop-motion animation.
Several other tauntaun concepts, ranging from a rodent-like creature to a more reptilian one, were considered before the final look was chosen.
The sounds of the tauntauns were created from a recording of an Asian sea otter.
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Snowball Sight
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Showdown on Hoth"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Lost Stars
- ↑ Pirrello, Phil (May 10, 2019). 100 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. IGN. "Ever wonder where the sound of the tauntaun comes from? Ben "Yep, I track down sound effects for a living" Burtt used a recording of an Asian sea otter."
- ↑ Tauntaun Pantone colors. Star Wars (December 15, 2013). Retrieved on January 16, 2014, 2:39 am UTC.