In 4 ABY, Taym Dren-garen's assigned task from Jabba Desilijic Tiure was to provoke the local Tusken Raiders into attacking nearby Tatooinian settlers, by telling various lies about them and supplying the Tuskens with weapons. The resulting skirmishes between the Tuskens and settlers kept the Tatooine authorities busy, and unable to focus on Jabba the Hutt's dealings.
During the planned execution of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Chewbacca over the Great Pit of Carkoon, Skywalker equipped himself with a lightsaber previously hidden in the Astromech droid R2-D2. He began fighting his way through several of Jabba's henchmen, in an attempt to free his friends and himself from Jabba's control.
After already witnessing several of his fellow henchmen fall by Skywalker's lightsaber, Dren-garen found the opportunity to disable the attacker. As Klaatu retreated into the main hold, Dren-garen erupted from a top-mounted hatch at the front of the deck from behind Skywalker, catching him completely unawares. Dren-garen shot Skywalker's right hand, at the moment Skywalker raised his green-bladed saber above his head. Skywalker struck out at Taym with his lightsaber, slashing him across his weapon-holding hand. With a howl of pain, Taym Dren-garen fell backwards through the hatch into the depths of the Khetanna.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Manga: Return of the Jedi 2
- The Return of Tag & Bink: Special Edition (Non-canonical appearance) (Bink Otauna in disguise)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Taym Dren-garen) (backup link)
- "Ask the Master" – Star Wars Insider 84
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia