The Tector-class Star Destroyer was a class of Star Destroyer in the service of the Imperial Navy during the Galactic Civil War. It notably differed from other Star Destroyer classes, as it lacked a ventral hangar bay. In 4 ABY, the Tector-class vessel Harbinger was part of the Galactic Empire's fleet defending the second Death Star over the Forest Moon of Endor.
After Rebel Alliance forces launched an assault on the seemingly incomplete battle station, the Imperial fleet trapped them, as planned by Emperor Palpatine. Just as the Alliance began attacking the Imperial ships, the rebel freighter Millennium Falcon crossed the hull of a Tector-class Star Destroyer. The Harbinger was later destroyed by advancing rebel vessels, and shortly after, the Death Star itself was destroyed, along with a large portion of the gathered Imperial forces.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Tector-class Star Destroyer first appeared as a background ship without a hangar in the 1983 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. It was not named in the film, but received a class designation in the new Star Wars canon in "The Levers of Power," a short story written by Jason Fry and included in the 2015 compilation book The Rise of the Empire. On Twitter, Fry stated that he intended the Tector-class Star Destroyer seen in Return of the Jedi to be the Harbinger, although this was not specified in the story itself.
In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the Tector class was first mentioned in Curtis Saxton's 2005 reference book Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections. It was later confirmed to be the class of the Star Destroyer without a hangar seen in Return of the Jedi by Leland Chee on the StarWars.com Message Boards. Chee's declaration built off the Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: The Illustrated Edition novelization, which includes a passage accompanied by concept artwork from Return of the Jedi confirming that the portion of the Tector seen in the film was its ventral hull.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire (Mentioned only) (First identified as Tector-class Star Destroyer)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY.
- ↑ screenshot) — Jason Fry stating it was his intention for the Harbinger to be the Tector-class Star Destroyer seen in Return of the Jedi. (
- ↑ Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Leland Chee of the Lucasfilm Story Group has confirmed that the Legends Tector-class Star Destroyer described in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections is the class of the hangarless Star Destroyer seen in Return of the Jedi. —
- ↑ Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: The Illustrated Edition