- "Do you think I came to the most unfindable place in the galaxy for no reason at all?"
- ―Luke Skywalker
Temple Island was an island on the planet Ahch-To where the Jedi Order was founded over a thousand generations before the fall of the Galactic Republic. The island was where Jedi Master Luke Skywalker chose to spend the rest of his life in self-imposed exile after his nephew, Ben Solo, destroyed the new generation of Jedi. He was discovered on Temple Island by Rey, a Force prodigy, in 34 ABY. Skywalker died on the island after projecting his appearance into the Battle of Crait.
- "You imagine an ocean. I see it. I see the island."
- ―Kylo Ren
The Temple Island was an island located in the northern latitudes of the planet Ahch-To. The island was home to the first Jedi Temple and a Jedi village where the first Jedi lived, which was maintained by Lanai Caretakers. The island was also home to the native porgs, insects, and its steep slopes were a vivid, verdant green, with the tufts of emerald grass and the grayish moss that clung to slabs of rock.
The island housed a trunk of the centuries-old Force-sensitive uneti tree known as the Jedi Tree. It was accessible by a stairway that led from the first Jedi Temple to the tree. Once upon a time the tree was massive, but over time it withered away, and all that remained of it by 34 ABY was an ancient, mossy husk, with an opening, carved by weather and time. Three pulpy offshoots stood guard around a gigantic central trunk. All had tops splintered like jagged crowns, and none bore foliage or branches. Only moss grew on the ashen bark.
A thousand generations before 34 ABY, a tree library was built within the hollowed-out trunk of the tree. A bookshelf within contained the original sacred texts of the Jedi religion during the period of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's exile on the island. As she climbed the steps of the island, Rey thought of it as a tiny dot on the water, but that was a misperception—the island was the pinnacle of a mountain that began in darkness, rising from the bones of the planet far below. During Skywalker's exile, the Force spirit of Yoda initiated a lightning strike that set the uneti tree ablaze.
Behind the scenes
Temple Island is based on Skellig Michael in Ireland, where the final scenes of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens and parts of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi were filmed. Filming on the island itself was not an option for most of The Last Jedi's production, so some scenes were shot on location just north on the Dingle Peninsula, while others were shot at Pinewood Studios in England.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (Set: 75200 Ahch-To Island Training)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Temple island)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Activity Book with Stickers (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 72 (Highlights of the Saga: Luke's Journey in the Force) (First identified as Temple Island)
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Star Wars: Creatures Big & Small (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (Indirect mention only)
- (Picture only)
- The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
- "Exegol, the Unknown Regions, and Wild Space" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Chewie and the Porgs
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 72 (Highlights of the Saga: Luke's Journey in the Force)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens in 34 ABY. The events of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi pick up immediately following The Force Awakens.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi states that the library was built on Ahch-To a thousand generations before the events of the movie. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary places The Last Jedi in the same year as Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the first Jedi Temple was built a thousand generations before 34 ABY.
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi