First Officer Thaneespi was a Mon Calamari female from the planet Dac. After the invasion of her homeworld by the Galactic Empire, she became a leader of the refugees from the planet. Thaneespi went on to serve as an officer in the Alliance to Restore the Republic, participating in the Battle of Endor as one of the deck officers on the Star Cruiser Home One, which led the Alliance Fleet.
A Mon Calamari female from the planet Dac, Thaneespi was one of the leaders of the refugees of the Imperial invasion of her homeworld. She became a deck officer and tactical analyst, stationed aboard the MC80 Home One type Star Cruiser Home One of the Alliance to Restore the Republic's fleet. At that time, she held the position of first officer. In 4 ABY, just before the Battle of Endor, she briefly conversed with Admiral Gial Ackbar on the starship's bridge.
During the subsequent space battle over the Forest Moon of Endor, Thaneespi served on Home One, the command ship of the Alliance Fleet. The battle resulted in the destruction of the Galactic Empire's second Death Star superweapon and the death of Emperor Palpatine. Thaneespi's name was literally translated as "of many hearts," although its meaning was unclear.
Personality and traits
Skills and abilities
Thaneespi wore a helmet of a type worn by high ranking Mon Calamari officers. The helmet housed a communications device and offered moderate protection. She also carried a DH-17 blaster pistol which had its trigger guard removed to allow for handling by Mon Calamari fingers.
Behind the scenes
Thaneespi first appeared in the 1983 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. The scenes on Home One were filmed throughout the week of Tuesday, February 16, 1982. Thaneespi's helmet was originally intended to be worn by Admiral Ackbar, but it was given to her instead seeing as Ackbar's articulated head did not allow for the helmet to be used. Pete Ronzani and his team were responsible for designing the helmet.
She was first identified in the Death Star II Limited expansion set for the Star Wars Customizable Card Game, released in 2000. Thaneespi's Hasbro action figure from the Star Wars: Power of the Jedi toy line, also released in 2000, which was titled "Mon Calamari officer," has two images of Mon Calamari on its packaging; while one of them correctly shows Thaneespi, the other is of Captain Verrack.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive (Picture only) (Retcon)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: First Officer Thaneespi) (backup link) (First identified as Thaneespi)
- Galaxy of Intrigue
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: First Officer Thaneespi) (backup link)
- The New Essential Chronology dates the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi to 4 ABY.
- Galactic Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy
- Star Wars, Objets du mythe
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Captain Verrack) (backup link)