- "You know what those are, don't you?"
"Hideous, by the looks of things."
"They're Sith warbeasts."
"Sith? Are you sure?"
"Yes. The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth—see?"
- ―Sifo-Dyas and Dooku after reading from The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth
The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth was a book written by Darth Caldoth, a Dark Lord of the Sith. The title was a compendium of Sith warbeasts and their attributes. The Bestiary was eventually acquired by the Jedi Order and stored in the Jedi Archives of the Jedi Temple on the planet Coruscant. It later came into the possession of Jedi Master Lene Kostana, who secretly gave a fragment of the book to Jedi Initiates Dooku and Sifo-Dyas in the hope that it would trigger memories of a Force vision within the former.
- ―Dooku, reading from The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth
The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth was a compendium of Sith warbeasts and their attributes that was authored by the eponymous Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Caldoth. The book collected information on the silooth, tuk'ata, veergundark, krastenane, and other creatures.
Creation and Jedi acquisition
Darth Caldoth wrote the Bestiary prior to 1032 BBY. At some point before 88 BBY, the Jedi Order acquired the title. While in their possession, the book was stored within the Jedi Archives of the Jedi Temple on the planet Coruscant.
At some point after its acquisition by the Jedi Order, Jedi Master Lene Kostana acquired the title from the Archives. Later, in 88 BBY, Jedi Initiates Sifo-Dyas and Dooku broke into the Bogan Collection, a hidden vault of dark side artifacts inside the Jedi Archives. While inside, Dooku experienced a vision that he soon repressed.
Kostana wished to learn more about the vision, as she believed it might help better understand the Sith, whom she posited would soon return to the galaxy. Jedi Grand Master Yoda and the rest of the Jedi High Council disagreed with Kostana's theory and felt that Dooku's vision ought to remain buried in his subconscious.
- "This was all a test?…The book?"
"The Bestiary of Cal-something."
- ―Dooku and Yoda after the duel on the contemplation balcony
Several days later, Kostana defied the Council's decision and enacted a plan that she believed would trigger Dooku's memories of the Force vision. She snuck a fragment of the Bestiary into the articles of the Lothal Papyri, a series of agricultural treatises that Sifo-Dyas and Dooku were translating as punishment for breaking into the Bogan Collection. Kostana hoped that being in close contact with another dark side artifact would mimic the effects of the Bogan Collection and resurface Dooku's memories.
Sifo-Dyas found the fragment among the papers first and quickly showed it to Dooku. After reading the fragment, Dooku was alarmed and intended to report Kostana and turn the fragment in. However, Sifo-Dyas convinced him not to. Because of her actions, Dooku began to suspect that Kostana was secretly a Sith.
Later, Dooku confronted Kostana about the Bestiary on the contemplation balcony, a meditation spot on the Temple Spire of the Jedi Temple. The confrontation turned into a lightsaber duel but was swiftly resolved by Yoda. After Yoda's intervention, Kostana's plans were revealed and Dooku's incorrect suspicions about her allegiances were assuaged. Yoda demonstrated frustration with Kostana over her tactics and requested that she return the rest of the Bestiary to the Jedi Archives.
Behind the scenes
Notes and references
- Dooku: Jedi Lost
- The Star Wars Book places the supposed destruction of the Sith, which occurred during the Jedi-Sith War according to Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy, to 1,032 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that A New Hope begins in 0 BBY, the Sith's supposed destruction must have occurred in 1032 BBY. Since Darth Caldoth lived prior to this date, The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth must have been written at some point before that year.
- According to Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Dooku was eighty years old at the time of the First Battle of Geonosis. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the battle in 22 BBY, thereby placing Dooku's birth in 102 BBY. The flashback in Dooku: Jedi Lost in which The Bestiary of Darth Caldoth appears takes place when Dooku is fourteen years old, thus placing the event in 88 BBY.
- Dooku: Jedi Lost script