The Maelstrom Nebula was a huge green cloud of charged space dust and raw energy which altered navigation coordinates and fuddled navigation computers. The nebula was located on the borders of the Albarrio and Relgim sectors, and the Relgim Run ran through it, forcing starships on the run to exit hyperspace and navigate through the cloud at sublight speed. This created opportunities for the Riders of the Maelstrom, pirates led by Big Jak Targrim, to raid starliners.
During the Great Galactic War, the Maelstrom served as a important location for the Sith Empire. The Empire hid a space station in the Maelstrom, where the Emperor imprisoned Revan for over 300 years before he was freed.
When the Rebel sympathizer Rodin Higron also began raiding ships along the run, the Moffs governing Albarrio and Relgim sectors, Vanko and Torpin respectively, decided to act in concert to destroy the pirates.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- Riders of the Maelstrom (First appearance)
- Classic Adventures: Volume Three
- Pirates & Privateers
- "Crimson Bounty"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 14 ("Celia Durasha" capsule)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "Maelstrom Nebula")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook