- "It's ionized gas, water vapor, possibly vacuum-breathing life forms swirling around The Maw."
- ―L3-37, describing the Akkadese Maelstrom
The Maw was one of the largest and the worst black holes located in the Maw Cluster inside the Akkadese Maelstrom. Glowing a faint amber, it swirled and sucked debris in the area into its planet-sized gravity well, causing objects to be crushed inside. It was also home to vacuum breathing creatures such as the summa-verminoth.
Shortly after the Raid on Kessel, Han Solo, a member of Beckett's gang, flew the Millennium Falcon near the Maw Cluster in order to escape a squadron of TIE/ln space superiority starfighters that had begun pursuing them after they stole coaxium from a Pyke Syndicate mine on Kessel. While Solo was able to escape the TIE squadron, he unintentionally woke a massive, vacuum-breathing beast called a summa-verminoth. Solo flew extremely close to a gravity well of the Maw. The summa-verminoth followed, but was caught by the gravity well. The massive beast's skin was torn from its skeleton and was devoured by the gravity well, while the Millennium Falcon escaped due to Tobias Beckett putting a microscopic amount of coaxium into the hyperdrive.
Behind the scenes
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: A Junior Novel
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 5
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Chewbacca - Wookiee Warrior"
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Han Solo - Galaxy's Best Smuggler" (In flashback(s))
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (Picture only)