The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 is the second issue of the canon comic book miniseries Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren. It was written by Charles Soule, illustrated by Will Sliney, and first published on January 8, 2020 by Marvel Comics.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
SNOKE SINKS HIS CLAWS IN! YOUNG BEN SOLO FACES THE KNIGHTS OF REN! With the new jedi [sic] school in ruins and fellow students hot on his trail for the murder of their master, Ben Solo flees to the only friend he has left in the galaxy - a man named Snoke. But Snoke has plans for Ben - and ideas about the Force that are as dangerous as they are intriguing for the troubled young Jedi. If Ben wishes to be truly free - the answers might lie with the dark side. And with the Knights of Ren! But it won't be the first time he's tangled with the Knights. In the past, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker journeys to the Unknown Regions and brings young Ben along for the mission. Can even Luke Skywalker stand against the fabled Knights of Ren?!
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
Opening crawl[edit | edit source]
Solo's true self[edit | edit source]
On the space station, Snoke speaks to Ben Solo. He mentions that the station was built by people who wanted to create an oasis of light in "the great shadow," but they did not succeed. Solo tells Snoke that he thinks he could learn from the Knights of Ren. Snoke agrees but adds that the Knights might not want to recruit a former Jedi, particularly one named Ben Solo. Ben says that he hates that name as it creates unrealistic expectations of him.
A First Order sentry droid informs Snoke that there is an incoming transmission from General Brendol Hux. Snoke tells the droid to inform Hux that he cannot speak to him at this point. Solo asks Snoke who Hux is. Snoke replies that Solo is not his only friend, and asks him for his true name, saying that he will become his truest self once he embraces the dark side of the Force. Snoke senses the name in Solo's mind and praises it. Solo disagrees, saying that it was something that he thought of as a child. Snoke replies that that is why it is correct, because children's thoughts are pure and they do not deceive themselves.
Snoke theorizes that the Knights could be the first step on Solo's path to becoming his true self. Solo asks him where they are, and Snoke tells him that he will need to find them on his own and should begin in the place where he previously met them. Snoke adds that he cannot fail to join the Knights, as the cost of failure is death.
Jedi mission[edit | edit source]
Years earlier, Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Lor San Tekka are on a starship heading towards a Jedi outpost on Elphrona. Skywalker asks Tekka if he is certain that a Jedi outpost would be located so far away from the Core Worlds. Tekka replies that he has learned to recognize a description of a Jedi outpost during his travels. Meanwhile, Snoke mentally communicates with Solo, asking if he is okay. Solo replies that they are headed towards an outpost on the edge of the Outer Rim to find "junk Master Luke will lock away in his temple and never use." Solo is frustrated that Skywalker is not allowing him to reach his full potential as a Force-user.
On Elphrona, the three find that the entrance to the outpost has remained intact over the years since the High Republic Era. Skywalker tells Solo to be careful, recalling an incident where he found a lightsaber that sprung a trap.
Inside the outpost, they find many artifacts, leading Tekka to theorize that the Jedi used the outpost as a storage site. Skywalker finds a Jedi holocron, while Solo discovers a lightsaber rifle. Suddenly, both master and Padawan sense something, and they turn to see the Knights of Ren assembled before them. The Knights's leader, Ren, tells Skywalker that everything inside the outpost belongs to him and his allies. Skywalker retorts that it all belongs to him, as it is a Jedi outpost and he is the last Jedi. Telling the Knights that they are going to get what they came for, Ren ignites his lightsaber. Skywalker tells Tekka to stay out of the fight and orders Solo to look after him. Tekka protests that Skywalker will not be able to fight the seven Knights on his own. Igniting his lightsaber, Skywalker replies that he will be just fine.
Battle with the Knights of Ren[edit | edit source]
Ren orders the Knights to attack Skywalker. Dodging their attacks, Skywalker uses the Force to repel the Knights, throwing them against the walls of the outpost. On the side, Tekka marvels at Skywalker's ability. Skywalker asks the Knights if they have had enough. Ren replies that they still have numbers on their side. Skywalker lifts their weapons into the air and crushes them, leaving only Ren with a weapon. Ren flips a switch on his lightsaber, telling Skywalker that if the weapon leaves his hand it will explode, killing them all. He also adds that he can sense the dark side in Solo. Skywalker tells Ren to leave. Ren agrees, but unmasks first. He asks Solo whether he is sure he wants to be a Jedi, and tells him to contact the Knights if he ever wants to explore his dark side more.
In the present, Solo finds Ren's discarded helmet on the floor of the Jedi outpost. He puts it on and receives a transmission from Ren telling him to go to Varnak, where the Knights are currently located. Solo takes the mask off and is admiring it when he is confronted by Hennix, Tai, and Voe.
Development[edit | edit source]
Continuity[edit | edit source]
In The Rise of Kylo Ren 2, Luke Skywalker mentions Jocasta Nu's cache. This cache first appeared in Soule's 2017 comic book series Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith, in which it is located by Skywalker in the series' tenth issue.
Media[edit | edit source]
Editions[edit | edit source]
- UPC 759606097418; January 8, 2020; Marvel Comics; First printing
- UPC 759606097418; February 12, 2020; Marvel Comics; Second printing
- 00212; Cover C; Will Sliney
- UPC 759606097418; March 18, 2020; Marvel Comics; Third printing
- 00213; Cover D; Clayton Crain
Cover gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Collections[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- According to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary, Luke Skywalker's Jedi temple was destroyed six years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, since the events of The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 are set immediately after the temple's destruction, it can be deduced that the story takes place in 28 ABY.
- According to an interview with writer Charles Soule on StarWars.com, Ben Solo's encounter with the Knights of Ren in The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 happened when he was a teenager. Aftermath: Empire's End establishes that he was born on Chandrila during the Battle of Jakku, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 5 ABY. From here it can be calculated that the encounter with the Knights of Ren was after Solo turned thirteen in 18 ABY but before he turned twenty in 25 ABY.
- (In response to: "Can either of you confirm that 'The Rise of Kylo Ren' was written with the revelations about Snoke in #TheRiseOfSkywalker taken into account?")
- Darth Vader 10
- Star Wars Rise Of Kylo Ren #2. Midtown Comics. Midtown Comics (2020). Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved on February 13, 2020.
- STAR WARS RISE KYLO REN #2 (OF 4) 3RD PTG CRAIN VAR. Previews World. previewsworld.com (2020). Archived from the original on March 5, 2020. Retrieved on March 5, 2020.