- "For nearly four decades George Lucas's original vision of the galaxy far, far away existed only as what might have been…"
- ―Excerpt of the issue's introduction
The Star Wars 1 is the first issue of the Legends comic book miniseries The Star Wars, which adapts George Lucas's first rough-draft screenplay of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The issue was written by Jonathan W. Rinzler, illustrated by Mike Mayhew, and published on September 4, 2013 by Dark Horse Comics.
Annikin Starkiller is the hero…Luke Skywalker is a wizened Jedi general…Han Solo is a big green alien…and the Sith…Well, the Sith are still the bad guys. High adventure and derring-do from longer ago, in a galaxy even further away!
- Official adaptation of George Lucas's original screenplay for Star Wars!
- Features regular, variant, and ultravariant covers!
In a blog on StarWars.com, writer Jonathan W. Rinzler reflected that the process of creating The Star Wars 1 had been difficult for himself, editor Randy Stradley, and artist Mike Mayhew, as this had been Rinzler's first time writing a major comic book. When writing the adaptation, Rinzler made several minor changes to Lucas's script to better fit the comic book format.
For the issue's illustrations, Mayhew had to conceptualize various props, ships, characters, and locations to design before he could start on the layouts. When designing of the Palace of Lite, Rinzler and Mayhew took inspiration from Disney's 1992 film Aladdin.
- UPC 761568228243; September 4, 2013; Dark Horse Comics
- UPC 761568228243; December 4, 2013; Dark Horse Comics
- 00112; Cover D; Nick Runge
- (No UPC); September 29, 2015; Marvel Comics; Legends
- Digital; Cover E; Nick Runge
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
- The Star Wars TPB
- The Star Wars HC
- The Star Wars Deluxe HC
- Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: Infinities