The Star Wars Portfolio was published by Ballantine Books in December of 1977. It showcases the concept artwork created by Ralph McQuarrie for the original Star Wars film. The book has an introduction and the story behind each piece of artwork displayed in the book is "narrated" by Carol Wikarska, who was the Director of Publications the Star Wars franchise.
These are the astonishing paintings that helped bring Star Wars to the big screen!
The mind-boggling imagination and graphic brilliance of artist Ralph McQuarrie captures all the excitement, energy and power of the film that has already thrilled millions—and is destined to be the movie phenomenon of all time.
- Luke Skywalker on the arid wastes of Tatooine!
- The hated Darth Vader wielding the deadly lightsaber!
- The fierce Tusken Raiders on desert patrol!
- The Rebel Alliance hideout on the fourth moon of Yavin!
- The shoot-up at the space wanderers' cantina!
- Luke preparing the leap to life across the Death Star chasm!
- Chewbacca, Luke, Ben, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Han Solo board the Millennium Falcon!
—and much, much more!