- "Because he's holding a thermal detonator!"
- ―C-3PO speaks in fear of the threat of a thermal detonator
Thermal detonators were palm-sized, spherical devices that were used as extremely deadly explosive weapons. In addition to being surprisingly powerful for their size, they could only be deactivated by whomever turned them on. They would only explode when they were activated, and therefore a secure and stable weapon to carry. They could also be programmed to explode after a set amount of time.
Their usage was heavily regulated, and owning one illegally could earn its owner the capital punishment in many star systems. Most thermal detonators contained baradium, a highly unstable chemical compound that could blow a 2 meter deep hole in pure permacite. The chemical compound was so unstable that, in certain situations, some detonators have exploded after being accidentally dropped to the ground. This, was due to them having been exposed to too much heat or manipulated harshly. The power of the thermal detonator made it highly sought-after in the criminal underground, which made its price climb to 2,000 credits on the black market.
The Duros bounty hunter Cad Bane carried thermal detonators, and often used them during assignments. Princess Leia Organa, disguised as a bounty hunter, threatened the crime lord Jabba the Hutt with a detonator in order to negotiate a deal.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Destiny – Awakenings (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 9 (Helmets: AT-AT Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad; Helmets: AT-ST Pilot)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27 (Helmets: Commander Gree)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 30 (Highlights of the Saga: The Betrayal of Captain Argyus)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 36 (Helmets: Boushh)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 39 (Databank A-Z: Kwazel Maw–Sly Moore)
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Gadgets and Gear
- "Explosives, Heavy Weapons and Unstable Elements" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Bust Collection 2 (Star Wars Universe: Stormtroopers)