- "I was barely walking when I learned to ride thrantas. From the best, I might add."
- ―Princess Leia Organa
Biology and appearanceEdit
Thrantas were gray-skinned floating beasts with broad triangular wings and a long tail. They greatly resembled the aiwha, a species of winged cetaceans native to Kamino. They emitted mournful cries as they flew.
Thrantas hailed from the planet Alderaan, one of the so-called Core Worlds of the galaxy. As she grew up as a crown princess in the House of Organa, Leia Organa notably learned to ride a thranta. Although Alderaan was destroyed by the Galactic Empire in 0 BBY, the species outlived its homeworld as a population had been transplanted to the gas giant Bespin. Those Bespinian thrantas lived in a breathable region of the planet's atmosphere, where they were ridden through the clouds by only the most daring thrill seekers.
Behind the scenesEdit
Thranta first appeared in concept art drawn by artist Ralph McQuarrie for Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, which was later reused in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe in 1995, introducing them to the Star Wars Legends continuity. The species was made canon by the reference book Ultimate Star Wars, which was released in 2015.
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- "Eclipse"—From a Certain Point of View
- Princess Leia 2 (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny—Leia (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Princess Leia 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Eclipse"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ This event takes place during Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of A New Hope in 0 BBY and 0 ABY.
- ↑ The Making of The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ The Illustrated Star Wars Universe