The Thranta-class was the workhorse of the Republic Navy, being produced in large numbers to compete with the Hammerhead-class cruiser of the Jedi Civil War and replace the Praetorian-class frigate of the Great Sith War. It was a similar size to the Hammerhead-class cruiser, but was dwarfed by the premier warship of the Republic Navy during the Great Galactic War and Cold War, the Valor-class cruiser.
The Thranta-class Corvette possessed two main dual turbolasers mounted in the forward position, similar to that of the Hammerhead-class cruiser, a third dual turbolaser mounted along its ventral hull, and numerous other weapons located along its hull. The armament of this ship's class was powerful enough for it to compete with the Gage-class transport or a Terminus-class destroyer, but it lacked the firepower to go head to head against the Harrower-class Dreadnought and heavier warships. To compensate for this, they utilized their agility and pack tactics to take down larger vessels.
Thranta-class Corvettes possess two shielded hangars on the port and starboard sides of the ship, allowing it hold 14 Liberator-class Republic starfighters, 3 bombers, as well as 4 shuttles.
The Thranta-class Corvette is powered by a type-4 Hypermatter annihilator, which was powerful enough to destroy the ship and half of a fleet if the restraints keeping it stable were released.
For sublight propulsion, the Thranta-class relied on a configuration of four banks of two ion engines arrayed around its aft hull, and two larger engines mounted in the center.
Prior to the onset of the Great Galactic War, the Thranta-class ships acted as peacekeeping vessels in several sectors of Republic space, dealing with disputes and pirate forces that were plaguing certain areas. Thranta-class ships fought in many battles during the Great War, including the First Battle of Bothawui. After the end of the war, these corvettes participated in skirmishes with Imperial forces. One of these skirmishes was the Black Talon, an Imperial transport ordered by Grand Moff Kilran to attack and either capture or kill "the General" aboard the Brentaal Star on route to a planetary system. Once the Black Talon attacked, aiming for the power generators, the Brentaal Star fired its turbolasers, missile launchers and several transport pods. After the Brentaal Star's boarding party was defeated, a strike team from the Black Talon boarded the Star and completed the mission. With the mission complete, the Black Talon retreated to hyperspace before incurring any damage.
Later in the Cold War, a single Thranta-class Corvette named the Aurora served as the flagship for Jedi Master Kellian Jarro, the final target for the Great Hunt. Many tried to kill the Jedi Master and failed until the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt's ship was caught in the Aurora's tractor beam and brought into the hangar bay which started a battle that resulted in the death of the Jedi Master. This ship would later be destroyed during an explosion shortly after the schism inside of it.
A number of these vessels were used in conjunction with a number of Valor-class cruisers, under the command of Jedi Master Oteg, during the raid on the Imperial compound of Taral V, intercepting the bombardment in order for the Republic strike team to recover a Gree computer. These vessels would later serve to engage Imperial forces protecting the Maelstrom Prison that held Jedi Master Revan for 300 years. At the end of the mission, these ships would fall back along with Oteg's flagship and the other remaining Republic vessels. After the release of Revan, Imperial forces captured a single Thranta-class Corvette named the Dorin's Sky in order to pass the Republic blockade protecting the Foundry, carrying a strike team on the orders of Darth Malgus to defeat its master and to take the facility.
After the onset of the Galactic War, the Thranta-class again saw widespread action at multiple battles including the Second battle of Leritor, the Battle of Duro, the Battle of Kuat, the Assault on Tython, and the Battle of Rishi. The ships were also used to transport Republic forces for many ground operations such as the Battle of Yavin 4 and the Invasion of Ziost, before the war was abruptly ended by the Eternal Empire conquest. At least two Thranta-class class corvettes were present during the First skirmish with the Eternal Fleet, and more would see action before the Republic was defeated.
Several Thranta-class corvettes were used by other organizations during the Galactic War as well, including the Order of Revan and the Eternal Alliance, both of whom obtained the vessels from defected Republic officers.
The Thranta-class continued in service long after the last Galactic War ended, like the Hammerhead-class and the Praetorian-class, and was used in the Republic Navy for at least a millenium after its introduction.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Timeline 9: The Mandalorian Wars
- The Old Republic, Blood of the Empire Act 1: Shades of the Sith (First identified as Thranta-class Republic Corvette)
- Timeline 2: The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- The Old Republic: Annihilation (First identified as CR-12 corvette)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- Developer Walkthrough (First identified as Thranta-class warship)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First identified as Thranta-class cruiser)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Thranta-class Corvette"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Timeline 2: The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "Boarding Party"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—[TACTICAL] Flashpoint: "Legacy of the Rakata"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne—Chapter I: Wrath and Ruin
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Old Republic: Annihilation
- ↑ Timeline 9: The Mandalorian Wars
- ↑ Timeline 5: The Battle of Bothawui
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Developer Walkthrough
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ X-Wing: The Bacta War