- "A long time ago, beyond a galaxy far, far away...."
- ―Opening text
Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising is a canon novel written by Timothy Zahn, and it is the first volume of Star Wars: The Ascendancy Trilogy. It was first published in hardcover by Del Rey on September 1, 2020. The novel is set prior to Zahn's previous Thrawn novel series, and it explores the origins of Thrawn within the Chiss Ascendancy.
Some events in the book are parallel to the flashback part of Thrawn: Alliances.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Beyond the edge of the galaxy lie the Unknown Regions: chaotic, uncharted, and near impassable, possessing hidden secrets and dangers in equal measure. And nestled within their swirling chaos is the Ascendancy, home to the enigmatic Chiss and the Nine Ruling Families that lead them.
The peace of the Ascendancy, a beacon of calm and stability, is shattered after a daring attack on the Chiss capital that reveals no trace of the enemy. Baffled, the Ascendancy dispatches one of its brightest young military officers to root out the unseen assailants—a recruit born of no title but adopted into the powerful family of the Mitth and given the name Thrawn.
With the might of the Expansionary Fleet at his back and aided by his comrade, Admiral Ar'alani, Thrawn begins to piece together the answers he's looking for. But as Thrawn's first command probes deeper into the vast stretch of space his people call the Chaos, he realizes that the mission he has been given is not what it seems.
And the threat to the Ascendancy is only just beginning.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising adapts a scene from the earlier Star Wars: Thrawn novel Thrawn: Alliances. In the scene, Thrawn meets Jedi General Anakin Skywalker over communications. Chaos Rising reveals that Thrawn's statement about being a commander, a military rank he claims to have throughout Alliances, is a lie, as he is really a Senior Captain.
Media[edit | edit source]
Editions[edit | edit source]
- ISBN 9780593157688; September 1, 2020; Del Rey; US hardcover
- ISBN 9780593157398; September 1, 2020; Del Rey; US hardcover, Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition
- ISBN 9780593157695; September 1, 2020; Del Rey; US eBook
- ISBN 9780593157701; April 27, 2021; Del Rey; US Paperback
- ISBN 9781529124583; September 1, 2020; Century; UK hardcover
Cover gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Del Rey Star Wars timeline places Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising after Dark Disciple and before Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Furthermore, places Dark Disciple between "A Death on Utapau" and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, which are dated to 19 BBY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Since the events of Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising are set between the events of Dark Disciple and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, they must also occur in that year.
- Thrawn: Alliances
- (UK hardcover)