- "You will take the throne. It is your birthright to rule here."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Rey
A throne was a ceremonial chair or seat occupied by a figure of authority such as the monarch of Naboo, the Duchess of Mandalore, the members of the Bardottan Bahk-tov Council, and the Galactic Emperor. Figuratively, the term also designated the power, duties, or rank ascribed to a royal person. Aboard the second Death Star, the Emperor Darth Sidious' throne was a large, contoured swivel chair with control panels in the arms. In the Imperial Palace, his throne was massive and solid black, but simple with no ostentation. Supreme Leader Snoke of the First Order once had a seat similar to a throne on-board his flagship, the Supremacy, though this was not an actual throne for royalty.
The Throne of the Sith was located in the throne room of the Sith Citadel, an ancient Sith planet located in the Unknown Regions of the galaxy. The Sith throne was offered to Kylo Ren and Rey in turn by the resurrected Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious. However, during the Battle of Exegol, Sidious claimed the throne for himself, declaring his return as the "one true Emperor."
Some thrones had built-in features that allowed them to act in a functional capacity. For example, the throne in the Theed Royal Palace had a secret compartment in its armrest containing a number of ELG-3A blasters with shortened barrels, a last line of defense for the monarch. This was put to good use by Queen Padmé Amidala during a battle to retake Theed from the Trade Federation, allowing her and Captain Panaka to dispatch the droids inside the throne room and capture Viceroy Nute Gunray.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part I"
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace