A throne was a ceremonial chair or seat occupied by a figure of authority such as the monarch of Naboo, the Duchess of Mandalore, the members of the Bardottan Bahk-tov Council, and the Galactic Emperor. Figuratively, the term also designated the power, duties, or rank ascribed to a royal person. Aboard the second Death Star, the Emperor's throne was a large, contoured swivel chair with control panels in the arms. In the Imperial Palace, his throne was massive and solid black, but simple with no ostentation. Supreme Leader Snoke of the First Order once had a seat similar to a throne on board his flagship, the Supremacy, though this was not an actual throne for royalty.
Some thrones had built-in features that allowed them to act in a functional capacity. For example, the throne in the Theed Royal Palace had a secret compartment in its armrest containing a number of ELG-3A blasters with shortened barrels, a last line of defense for the monarch. This was put to good use by Queen Padmé Amidala during a battle to retake Theed from the Trade Federation, allowing her and Captain Panaka to dispatch the droids inside the throne room and capture Viceroy Nute Gunray.
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"