- "Yeah, a tibanna gas mine. Lando conned somebody out of it."
- ―Han Solo
Tibanna was found at high pressure in the upper atmosphere of the gas giant Bespin. The metropolis of Cloud City, which floated high above the gaseous surface of Bespin, was a mining colony where tibanna was harvested and processed for export. The Mid Rim planet Kril'Dor was another source of tibanna.
A rarer and purer form of tibanna gas was known as Interstellar gas, and was highly sought after by hyperspace scouts.
The highly reactive nature of tibanna gas made it quite explosive, a fact that was used by clone troopers to destroy a Republic outpost on the moon of Rishi that had been taken over by Separatist battle droids during the Clone Wars. This was done to stop the base from transmitting the all clear signal, which had been hardwired by BX-series droid commandos. Without the signal it was clear something was wrong, and this stopped a planned Separatist attack on Kamino, where the Republic clone troopers were created.
After the Galactic Empire suffered a major defeat at Endor, Governor Ubrik Adelhard ordered the lockdown of the Anoat sector, where Bespin was located. With the blockade, Cloud City became the only place where tibanna could be found, and the demand for that gas rose dramatically. Consequently, the Trade Spine League made money transporting tibanna to various worlds in the Anoat sector. The Galactic Empire, however, intended to take Cloud City in order to cut off the sector's population from their much-needed tibanna supplies.
- "Classic Moment: Lando's Second Surprise"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious