- "Time. That's what's left when you strip away everything else. […] From a certain perspective, time's the only thing a thief ever really steals. And it's the only gift an irredeemable disaster can give to anyone."
- ―Chelli Lona Aphra
Time was a measurable part of the structure of the universe, in which the galaxy existed, where events occurred in a sequence. Time was measured with different concepts, such as millennia, centuries, and years. Time could be broken down even further into months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds, though these divisions were used almost exclusively to refer to the duration of events, rather than the date or time on which they took place. Chronometers were used to track and indicate time through such units of measurement.
The last great conflict between the Jedi Order and the Sith resulted in a definitive Republic victory. Resetting its capital on Coruscant, history reset its chrono on this date from which the modern Galactic Republic was born. The time before this rebirth was forgotten as a dark age, lumped into a collective whole known as the "Old Republic." As a result of this change, official calendars reset their zero year onto this date. The galaxy used this standardized dating system based off of the galactic capital Coruscant. On Coruscant, a year was made up of twelve months[source?] spanning 365 days of 24 hours each, with no leap years.
During its reign, the Galactic Empire reset the dating system and utilized its own calendar. Sometime after the Battle of Yavin, Ithorian artist Gammit Chond used a calendar system that used the battle as the zero year from which to date galactic history. Dates before the Battle of Yavin were marked "BBY" and dates after the Battle of Yavin were marked "ABY." Galactic Standard Time was a system of timekeeping used by the First Order. Lothal also maintained its own calendar.
Ancient time keeping methods
The C.R.C. was another dating system that set its epoch 7977 years before the Galactic Empire issued an arrest warrant for Princess Leia Organa after discovering she worked with the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
There were several recognized eras in galactic history.[source?]
|Middle Era of the Old Republic|
|Fall of the Old Republic|
|Republic Era||After 1032 BBY||32 BBY|
|Fall of the Republic||32 BBY||19 BBY|
|Imperial Era||19 BBY||5 ABY|
|New Republic Era||5 ABY||34 ABY|
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds"
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Doctor Aphra (2016) 6
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2