A toast was a social custom that involved the use of alcohol. It consisted in a call to a gathering of beings to raise their beverages and drink together in honor of an event or person. The toasters would usually clink their glasses and drain them at a draught. Toasts came often and exhuberantly in parties, dinner, and other times of merry-making. The day after the destruction of the first Death Star by the Rebel Alliance forces, a celebration was held following the Royal Award Ceremony, and many toasts were drunk in honor of the victory against the Galactic Empire.
Despite their rigid and ascetic lifestyle, the ancient Jedi were familiar with this social ritual. On the brink of the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, the Half-Bothan Jedi Lord Valenthyne Farfalla opened a barrel of his finest wine. He toasted in the company of his soldiers, commenting on how they would first spill wine before spilling blood on the battlefield.
Members of the Mandalorian warrior culture were also known to make toasts. Mandalore the Vindicated toasted the latest victor of the Great Hunt aboard his ship during the Cold War, and the Mandalorian Protectors made a toast to their Battle Legionnaire droid comrades and their hopes of victory prior to the Battle of New Bornalex. Other Mandalorians, such as Kal Skirata, were known to toast to hopeful future prospects, as well as to the memories of lost loved ones, and it was common practice to toast the coming of age of a Mandalorian youth.
Sometimes, toasting was used ironically, as a way of mocking or even insulting someone. In 11 ABY, the Caridan ambassador Furgan—who was loyal to the defunct Empire—called a toast "in honor" of Mon Mothma, the President of the New Republic, and hurled his drink into her face. The glass was in fact full of a poison that seeped into Mon Mothma's pores and attacked her cells.
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 1: Masters and Students of the Force
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith
- Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Orders"
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- "The Princess Leia Diaries"—Star Wars Tales 11
- The Hutt Gambit
- Rebel Dawn
- Death Star
- Han Solo's Revenge
- The Day after the Death Star! (First appearance)
- Star Wars 19: The Ultimate Gamble
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
- The Mandalorian Armor (Mentioned only)
- The Truce at Bakura (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing Rogue Squadron 25: The Making of Baron Fel
- X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
- X-Wing: The Bacta War
- X-Wing: Isard's Revenge
- Jedi Search
- Champions of the Force (Mentioned only)
- I, Jedi (Mentioned only)
- The Crystal Star (Mentioned only)
- Vision of the Future
- Boba Fett: A Practical Man
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Day after the Death Star!
- ↑ Rebel Dawn
- ↑ Han Solo's Revenge
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Jedi Search
- ↑ Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
- ↑ The Hutt Gambit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Droids
- ↑ Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- ↑ Boba Fett: A Practical Man