- "This is Tak Base to anybody out there...Please...We're under Imperial attack...They're everywhere, there was no warning at all...Total devastation! They broke through our shields...They broke through our shields!"
- ―Admiral Toka, in a distress signal moments before his death
Toka was a male Mon Calamari member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic who held the rank of Admiral. In the year 0 ABY, Admiral Toka was in Tak Base when it was attacked by dark troopers and was subsequently killed in the assault.
- "I'll send a distress signal, but I fear all is lost. Go! And may the Force be with you!"
- ―Admiral Toka, to Captain Bok
Toka was a male Mon Calamari who possessed the rank of Admiral in the Alliance to Restore the Republic in the year 0 ABY. During that year, Toka was at Tak Base, a Rebellion position on the planet of Talay, when Imperial General Rom Mohc tested his Dark Trooper Project by launching dark troopers in an assault against said base. During the attack, Admiral Toka ordered fellow Rebel Captain Bok to escape with his ship, and, despite misgivings about leaving his friend, Captain Bok complied. Soon thereafter, Admiral Bok sent a distress signal, but he was killed by someone with a blaster. Five days after his death, Rebellion leader Mon Mothma showed Admiral Toka's distress signal to mercenary Kyle Katarn in preparation for his mission to investigate Talay.
Personality and traits
- "Escape while you still can, my friend! Warn our allies of this new threat!"
"But we can't abandon you here, Admiral Toka!"
"Launch now or perish! Use the escape coordinates the alliance gave us. Flee!"
- ―Admiral Toka and Captain Bok
Admiral Toka belonged to the Mon Calamari species, so he had orange skin and yellow eyes. Admiral Toka demonstrated his unselfishness and commitment when he sacrificed himself by ordering his friend, Captain Bok, to escape the attack on Tak Base instead of coming to rescue him.
Behind the scenes
Admiral Toka first appeared in the 1995 video game Star Wars: Dark Forces. In 2000, his story was briefly expanded upon when he appeared in Sand Blasted, a short comic featured in Star Wars Tales 4 which was published on June 28 of that year. That comic was later collected in Star Wars Tales Volume 1, which was published on February 20, 2002. In the Star Wars: Dark Forces video game, Admiral Toka was voiced by Denny Delk, and he was identified in the credits only as "Dying Rebel." For Admiral Toka's role in the game, footage of Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi was used.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
- "Sand Blasted"—Star Wars Tales 4 (First identified as Toka)
Notes and references
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6 places the outbreak of the Candorian plague on Dentaal on 36:2:12, which falls in 0 ABY. The Official Star Wars Fact File 130 (MAD2-3, General Crix Madine) tie together the events of Star Wars: Dark Forces and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and Madine's own recollections in Darksaber as follows: upon learning of the Dark Trooper Project, Madine alerts the Rebel Alliance to the project's existence, thus starting the events of Dark Forces. Shortly afterwards, Madine is ordered to release the Candorian plague on Dentaal, an event which is dated to 36:2:12 per the Adventure Journal. Madine vanishes into the wilderness shortly afterwards, spending a week in the jungles of Dentaal before escaping and fleeing the planet—only to be captured almost immediately by General Rom Mohc and imprisoned on Orinackra. Kyle Katarn then frees Madine from Orinackra, and Madine is then involved in the battle at Corellia. The New Essential Chronology states that only a short amount of time passed between Madine telling the Alliance about the Dark Troopers and his defection. The length of time Madine spends on the run places his capture and imprisonment on Orinackra firmly in the month 36:3, or the first month of 1 ABY. Therefore, the events of Dark Forces prior to the mission to Orinackra fall in 0 ABY, and the remainder of the game and the battle at Corellia both occur in 1 ABY.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces
- "Sand Blasted"—Star Wars Tales 4