- "I will go with Sabé wherever she needs me to go. And I imagine that she will guard my back as well as I will guard hers."
Tonra was a human male who served as a sergeant, and later a captain, in the Royal Naboo Security Forces. He fought during the Trade Federation's Invasion of Naboo. Often accompanying the handmaiden Sabé, he continued to assist Padmé Amidala, even after she transitioned from queen to senator of Naboo. Tonra accompanied Sabé to Tatooine where they attempted to free slaves. After Amidala's death, he and Sabé decided to find out how she had died, needing to change their identities to do so.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I certainly turned up and filmed a day, but I can't find myself in the movie! I think I ended up as a droid. I thought I was a fighter pilot. I can't find where I am."
- ―Richard Armitage, on his role in The Phantom Menace
Tonra was played by Richard Armitage in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, but was uncredited in the film itself. The character was unidentified until the 2019 novel Queen's Shadow, written by E. K. Johnston, who confirmed that the character of Tonra was intended to be Richard Armitage's character in The Phantom Menace.
While filming for The Phantom Menace, Armitage was only present for one day. When the film was released in theaters, Armitage was unable to find himself in the movie, and was unsure whether his character ended up as a droid or a fighter pilot, though he recalled having one line to Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi, in an interview with the entertainment news website Hollywood.com.
- Queen's Peril
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Queen's Shadow (First identified as Tonra, simultaneous with Queen's Shadow audiobook)
- Queen's Shadow audiobook (First identified as Tonra, simultaneous with Queen's Shadow)
- Darth Vader 3
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Queen's Shadow
- ↑ Queen's Shadow describes Tonra as somewhat taller than Quarsh Panaka. As Panaka is measured at 1.83 meters according to , it can be deduced that Tonra was taller than 1.83 meters.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Darth Vader 3
- ↑ Queen's Peril
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Patches, Matt (2012-12-16). 'Hobbit' Star Richard Armitage Recalls His Time On 'Star Wars: Phantom Menace' Set. Hollywood.com. Archived from the original on February 6, 2020. Retrieved on February 6, 2020.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace