- "I will go with Sabé wherever she needs me to go. And I imagine that she will guard my back as well as I will guard hers."
Tonra was a human male who served as a sergeant, and later a captain, in the Royal Naboo Security Forces. He fought during the Trade Federation's Invasion of Naboo. Often accompanying the handmaiden Sabé, he continued to assist Padmé Amidala, even after she transitioned from queen to senator of Naboo. Tonra accompanied Sabé to Tatooine where they attempted to free slaves. After Amidala's death, he and Sabé decided to find out how she had died, needing to change their identities to do so.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Walking onto that set… I remember thinking, ‘Why didn’t they finish building the rest of the set? Are they behind? They must be out of money"
- ―Richard Armitage in working on The Phantom Menace
Tonra was played by Richard Armitage in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. The character was named in the 2019 canon novel Queen's Shadow, written by E. K. Johnston.
When The Phantom Menace was released in theaters, Armitage was unable to see himself behind Liam Neeson and Keira Knightley as he only shot for one day, even unsure whether he had played a droid or a fighter pilot but recalling his only line with Ewan McGregor. As such, the people behind the Hollywood.com website aided him in finding his scene.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Queen's Shadow (First identified as Tonra, simultaneous with Queen's Shadow audiobook)
- Queen's Shadow audiobook (First identified as Tonra, simultaneous with Queen's Shadow)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Queen's Shadow
- ↑ Queen's Shadow describes Tonra as somewhat taller than Quarsh Panaka. As Panaka is measured at 1.83 meters according to , it can be deduced that Tonra was taller than 1.83 meters.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Patches, Matt (16 December 2012). ‘Hobbit’ Star Richard Armitage Recalls His Time On ‘Star Wars: Phantom Menace’ Set. Hollywood.com.