- "Hey, Commander—look what the tooka-cat dragged in."
- ―An Imperial
Tookas, also called tooka-cats, were a subspecies of feline cats. They were popular as pets as the carnivores ate many unwanted pests, but were also considered by many to be feral nuisances themselves. When properly trained, they could be excellent hunters of pests. One specific breed of tooka was the Loth-cat, native to the planet Lothal. Tooka were known to enjoy milk. Tooka were common in the underworld of Coruscant, where they hunted nuna.
Biology and appearance
- "I am not equipped or programed to complete that request."
"You're telling me that you can't pick up a little tooka poop?"
"That is what I am telling you. Also, it is not a little. It is a lot of tooka… waste material."
- ―K-2SO and Mayvlin Trillick
Tookas could be a variety of colors, such as violet, greenish blue, yellow, dark yellow, fawn, brown, deep purple, and blue-gray. They usually had a flat face with a slightly protruding muzzle. They had two slit nostrils that sat underneath a pair of beady gray or black eyes. They had very long mouths that stretch all the way across their face and could open wide to display long sharp fangs. They had a pair of very tall, pointy ears that were usually striped. Their neck was rather short, as were their legs, and their paws were very similar to a bird's talons. Their claws were adept at gripping their prey and climbing. Their tails were fat and bushy and usually striped, and their underbelly was usually a different color that the body. When angry, threatened or scared tookas could dilate their entire eyes and arch their backs like cats.
Behind the scenes
- "Cats in Star Wars, why not?"
- ―Dave Filoni
Tookas first appeared in the Star Wars franchise as "Adoris feline" in Otherspace, an adventure for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. Though this title is now part of Star Wars Legends, tooka were introduced into the Star Wars canon in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, first as a stuffed toy and later as the actual creature. They were named after Dave Filoni's deceased cat, Tuuk.
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 1" (Stuffed toy)
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 6" (Stuffed toy)
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 7" (Stuffed toy)
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 8" (Stuffed toy)
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 10" (Stuffed toy)
- Disney Infinity 3.0
Notes and references
- Doctor Aphra (2016) 32
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "The Stranger"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 4: Sanctuary"
- Star Wars (2015) 15
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part II"
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "To Catch a Jedi"
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head