- "My mother was no Gormaanda, but she knew her way around a kitchen well enough. And whenever she started some of this aromatic broth simmerin' on the stove, you could guarantee the entire family would be back in time for dinner."
- ―Strono Tuggs
Topato stew, also called topato soup, was a type of stew made from the fruit topato that was consumable by humans and Artiodacs. This aromatic, stove-simmered light green broth could be served in bowls with a garnish of black seeds and minced green herbs. While at Kat Saka's farm on the Outer Rim planet Batuu around 34 ABY, the farmer Shari offered some topato stew to her former colleague, Julen Rakab, which he accepted.
The mother of the chef Strono Tuggs taught him how to make topato stew after witnessing his growing passion for cooking. He was fond of the classic soup, and served it from his traveling diner, Tuggs' Grub, while it was stationed in Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo on Batuu. Tuggs included a recipe for topato stew in his cookbook The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook at some point after the Battle of Takodana in 34 ABY.
Behind the scenesEdit
Topato stew first appeared in the new Star Wars canon in A Crash of Fate, a 2019 young-adult novel written by Zoraida Córdova. The dish was first pictured and first identified as topato soup in the recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was authored by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak, released later the same year. The out-of-universe recipe for topato stew uses olive oil, minced clove garlic, medium yellow onions, green salsa, chicken broth, potatoes, baby spinach leaves, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, topato soup first appeared in Fate of the Jedi: Conviction, a 2011 novel written by Aaron Allston.
- A Crash of Fate (First appearance, simultaneous with A Crash of Fate audiobook)
- A Crash of Fate audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with A Crash of Fate)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First pictured) (First identified as topato soup)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 A Crash of Fate
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ The events of A Crash of Fate take place months after the Hosnian Cataclysm, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Fate of the Jedi: Conviction