- "I've been monitoring equipment suppliers and I'm telling you we should be worried."
- ―Colonel Haxen Delto, in a report to General Airen Cracken
Torpedo Spheres were allegedly large, disk-shaped siege platforms of the Galactic Empire that were armed with hundreds of proton torpedo launchers. Given enough time, the battle stations could crack through any planetary shield. The Torpedo Sphere was featured in a report on Imperial weapons projects by Colonel Haxen Delto, and was later integrated into The Rebel Files, a secured Rebel Alliance archive of sensitive information that was rediscovered decades after the Galactic Civil War.
- "These two-kilometer siege platforms are armed with hundreds of proton torpedo launchers that can crack any planetary shield, given time and patience."
- ―Colonel Haxen Delto in a report to General Airen Cracken
According to a Rebel Alliance report and analysis, the Torpedo Sphere was a two-kilometer-long, disk-shaped siege platform in Galactic Empire's service and was considered by the Alliance as a superweapon. Sometimes referred to as a "battlemoon," it was depicted as having a depression that emitted a red light and the hull had dark and light sections of gray. The Torpedo Sphere was allegedly equipped with hundreds of proton torpedo launchers that, given enough time, could breach any planetary shield. A group of Torpedo Spheres was referred to as a "constellation."
Beginnings and Rebellion eraEdit
- "Transmitter traffic from Loronar is spiking. We're going to be looking at a whole constellation of battlemoons if the Empire can pump these out."
- ―Haxen Delto to Airen Cracken in a report
In the aftermath of the Invasion of Naboo in 32 BBY, the Special Weapons Group of the Galactic Republic proposed a design of a torpedo siege platform. Due to the Republic's pacifistic views and subsequent lack of funding, the project never left the planning stage.
Sometime between the years 5 BBY and 2 BBY, Alliance Intelligence witnessed a spike in transmitter traffic from Loronar, a world in the Colonies region of the galaxy. With this information, supplemented with data on equipment suppliers, Colonel Haxen Delto of the communications section of Intelligence deduced that the Empire could produce a constellation of the battlemoons, and expressed to Chief of Rebel Intelligence General Airen Cracken that they should be worried.
- "Run all this by Resistance Intel. Some of these are already in the history logs, but others could have been restarted under the First Order."
- ―Caluan Ematt
Delto's report was articulated into The Rebel Files, a data archive that contained a non-electronic copy of sensitive information. The archive was later unearthed on the Mid Rim planet of Durkteel in 34 ABY and eventually reached General Leia Organa of the Resistance. While reviewing The Rebel Files, Major Caluan Ematt of the Resistance left a handwritten note on the document stating that the information on possible Imperial superweapons should be passed on to Resistance Intelligence, as some of those listed had since been entered into history logs while others could have been restarted by the First Order, a state formed from the remnants of the Galactic Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Torpedo Sphere was first mentioned and pictured in the canon boxed set and reference book Star Wars: The Rebel Files authored by Daniel Wallace, illustrated by Joe Corroney, and released in November 21, 2017. The Torpedo Sphere originally appeared in the Star Wars Legends adventure book Black Ice, released by West End Games in 1990, authored by Paul Murphy and Bill Slavicsek, and illustrated by Bob Dvorak.
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files establishes that 14 AFE and 17 AFE in the Imperial calendar are respectively 14 and 17 years after the proclamation of the New Order. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the proclamation in 19 BBY, it can be deduced that 14 AFE corresponds to 5 BBY, while 17 AFE corresponds to 2 BBY. Since all of the information on the Torpedo Sphere is in the section dated 14 AFE and 17 AFE, then the events must take place between that period of time.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ The real-life boxed set and reference book Star Wars: The Rebel Files establishes that the in-universe artifact The Rebel Files was buried on the same day as the Battle of Endor, which is dated to 4 ABY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As the former book also states that The Rebel Files was rediscovered 30 years after the battle, the artifact must have been uncovered in 34 ABY.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Canfield, David (2017-11-21). Star Wars: The Rebel Files book trailer unlocks secrets of the Rebel Alliance. Entertainment Weekly. Meredith Corporation. Archived from the original on August 15, 2019. Retrieved on August 15, 2019.
- ↑ Black Ice