Created by a Jedi Consular in the days of the Old Republic to compensate for weaknesses with using a lightsaber, Tràkata was a form of lightsaber combat developed for taking advantage of a lightsaber's ability to be turned on and off, a unique quality in a melee weapon. Quickly shutting off then re-igniting the blade could confuse one's opponent/s, allowing for diversionary feints in combat.
Mixed with Jar'Kai, Tràkata was extremely effective even against multiple opponents. Sith Lords would occasionally use this form to free their blade hand, allowing greater control of some Force powers such as Force lightning.
Philosophically, Tràkata involved practical combat and deception, rather than single-minded determination or endless patience. It was rarely used by the Sith, as their power came from passion rather than practicality, and neither was it commonly used by the Jedi because of their unwillingness to rely on deception. The latter may, however, have utilized this technique on occasion, their purpose usually being to exert greater influence over the Force.
Known moves and maneuversEdit
Pass the BladeEdit
The duelist deactivated his blade as he attacks, bypassing the opponent's block before igniting it into the helpless foe.
The duelist caught the opponent's blade with his own before momentarily deactivating it, causing the opponent to stumble and leave himself open.
Activation of the Duelist's blade for only a moment, allowing just enough time for the blade to reach full length while being swung, and then deactivated again.
Members of the New Jedi Order known to employ this technique such as Jedi Master Mara Jade Skywalker. Jedi Master Corran Horn used a variant of this technique during the Yuuzhan Vong War; one notable occurrence being while he was battling Shedao Shai on Ithor. During the battle, Horn and Shai were locked in combat, and Horn deactivated his lightsaber then reignited it into Shedao Shai, killing the temporary Supreme Commander.
During her duel with Ben Skywalker, Sith apprentice Tahiri Veila used this technique to great effect. Skywalker forced her lightsaber aside, so Tahiri switched her lightsaber off and on so fast Skywalker barely had time to react, allowing her to extend the blade to where his throat had been just moments before.
Behind the scenesEdit
Tràkata was a fanon creation that was brought into continuity by the Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook.
Although not an official form in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, turning off Jaden Korr's lightsaber increased the potency of Force lightning, Force Grip, and Force Push, which can be seen as use of Tràkata. Additionally, in Star Wars: Battlefront II, Darth Sidious turns off his blade to free his hand when using Force lightning.
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Freedon Nadd Uprising
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed video game
- Dark Empire audio drama (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
- Legacy of the Force: Invincible
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook (First identified as Tràkata)
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Trakata)
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force