- "Master! I've just encountered some kind of assassin droid, armed with a new weapon, a cortosis sword."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, to Qui-Gon Jinn
A model of assassin droid was used by the Trade Federation during their invasion of the planet Naboo in 32 BBY. The droids were humanoid in appearance and carried cortosis weapons. They fought the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi during the invasion.
The Trade Federation, a galaxy-spanning corporation, used a model of assassin droid. The droid series was humanoid in appearance and had red and black coloring and red photoreceptors along with an armored breastplate. The units carried cortosis blades or cortosis maces, and were constructed to kill Jedi, the peacekeepers of the galaxy. The cortosis weapons were able to block lightsabers, the Jedi weapon.
When the Trade Federation invaded the planet Naboo in the year 32 BBY in response to a trade dispute, the assassin droids were deployed as part of the invasion army. An assassin droid had its first encounter with the Jedi Knights after two Jedi were sent to negotiate an end to the invasion and were forced to escape a Trade Federation ambush by stowing onboard a C-9979 landing craft. The Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi quickly dispatched the droid.
More droids dueled with Kenobi and his Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn on the planet's surface while they tried to meet with Naboo's Queen, Padmé Amidala, but were also destroyed. The Jedi later decided to escort her off-planet to travel to the Galactic Senate on Coruscant. When the Queen returned to Naboo shortly afterward, Kenobi agreed to rescue several Naboo Security Force pilots. Kenobi encountered and destroyed more of the droids during that mission. Eventually the Trade Federation was defeated on the planet.
Behind the scenesEdit
The assassin droid series was first mentioned in a preview in the "Gamescape" department in Star Wars Insider 57, published in December of 2001. The assassin droids then appeared in the 2001 video game Star Wars: Obi-Wan. Those carrying maces were referred to as "mace droids" in the game's strategy guide, and the droids as a whole received a small introduction in the guide.
In the game, there is an altered scene from the film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. Two assassin droids escort Queen Amidala in the game instead of OOM battle droids. This article assumes that portion of the game is non-canon in the Star Wars Legends continuity.
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan (First appearance)
- "Gamescape"—Star Wars Insider 57 (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- State of the Arts"—Star Wars Gamer 8 "
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Star Wars: Obi-Wan
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology establishes that the Invasion of Naboo took place in 32 BBY.
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Droids