- "Shoran's scouts have discovered an array of Trade Federation listening posts."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
A listening array belonging to the Trade Federation was built on the moon Alaris Prime between 39 BBY and 36 BBY, during the war there between the corporation and the rightful Wookiee colonists. The array was commanded by the droid LUH-989 and was guarded by B1-Series battle droids, advanced beetle droids, and droidekas. It was destroyed by the Wookiee colonists, led by Chewbacca.
- "They are wary of us, keeping tabs on our progress."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, on the purpose of the listening array
The Droid Army of the Trade Federation company operated a listening array on the moon Alaris Prime to spy on their rival Wookiee colonists. The array was located on a beach surrounded by a river that stretched past its western and northern sides. A thick forest covered the eastern side. The array was only accessible by land from a shallow path through the river on the north. The other side of the river had three sentry posts to alert the Federation of anyone approaching the listening array.
The array consisted of six transmitters for listening in on Wookiee communications. One was placed on elevated ground near the entrance and guarded by a droideka and two B1-Series battle droids. Four transmitters occupied the lower middle section of the array, with one adjacent to the river and the other three in a triangular arrangement closer to the forest, where the ground was more elevated. Two B1 battle droids and two advanced beetle droids guarded the transmitters. The last transmitter was placed on a strip of land that jutted out into the river, and was guarded by another droideka. Various trees grew throughout the array.
- "Chewbacca suggests we show them our progress by destroying their listening array."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
The listening array was built at some point between 39 BBY and 36 BBY, as part of the Trade Federation's illegal colonization attempt on Alaris Prime. The battle droid LUH-989 was placed in command of the array, keeping track of the progress of the rightful Wookiee colonists, with whom the Federation was engaged in a war.
After an attack ordered by LUH-989 on the camp of the Wookiee leader Chewbacca failed, scouts from the camp of another Wookiee colonist, Shoran, discovered the listening array. One heavy bowcaster trooper from Shoran's camp entered the array and fought the droids at its entrance, but the trooper was killed. With the guidance of his advisor Qui-Gon Jinn, Chewbacca gathered a group of between eight and thirty Wookiees and—together with Shoran—marched towards the listening array and destroyed all six transmitters along with every droid there.
Behind the scenes
The listening array was first mentioned in the Prima Games strategy guide by Steven L. Kent—released on November 7, 2001—for the LucasArts video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, released on November 11, 2001. The array appears in the sixth level of the Wookiee tutorial campaign, titled "Allies and Jedi."
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- The New Essential Chronology places the Alaris Prime colonial war, which included the events involving the listening array as portrayed in Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, between 39 BBY and 36 BBY
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide