The Trident-class assault ship, also known as the Trident assault ship, was a model of aquatic gunship manufactured by the Colicoid Creation Nest. They were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. The starships acted as both attack craft and transports that could travel underwater and in space. A larger version of the ship known as the Trident drill assault craft had a giant drill spike located at the bottom of the craft, which could be used to penetrate the hulls of battleships and bunkers. The ship could then release troops such as aqua droids by use of deployment racks through the hole it created.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Trident-class assault ship, also known as the Trident assault ship, Trident drill assault craft, or simply drill assault craft, was a type of assault ship manufactured by Colicoid Creation Nest. They had four durasteel-armored tentacles equipped with magnetic grapples that served both as weapons and as a means of mobility, as well as a rhombus pyramid-style head that featured several observation portals.
At the base of the head and between the tentacles at the center of the vessel was a drill spike used to penetrate the hulls of battleships and other vessels and structures, and could open up to deploy battle droids, such as aqua droids, from deployment racks. It was not equipped with a hyperdrive, although it could be effectively utilized underwater. It measured at 88.71 meters and was equipped with eight laser cannons. There were two variants of the Trident-class, a smaller variant and a larger variant.
Its observation portals could be breached by blaster spears, and despite being equipped with deflector shields, they could be destroyed by a single hit from a missile launcher. The interior of the vessel could be adapted to become submerged, although if not adapted, a breach of the observation portals could haywire systems, resulting in interior explosions that could send the vessel out of control.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Water War"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Prisoners"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Tarkin (Wreckage only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as Trident drill assault craft)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Trident-class assault ship)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Collapse of the Republic
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition