- "I have recommended an increase in patrols along the region. I will lead the sweeps in the Triumphant and maintain constant communication."
- ―Plo Koon volunteers to lead a hunt for the Malevolence with the Triumphant
The Triumphant was a Venator-class Star Destroyer that served in the Republic Navy as Jedi General Plo Koon's flagship during the Clone Wars. In 21 BBY, the Triumphant was part of a Republic strike force of three Star Destroyers tasked with hunting down the Confederacy's new battleship, the Malevolence, which had committed several attacks on Republic fleets across the galaxy. After tracking the Malevolence to the Abregado system, the Triumphant and the rest of Koon's fleet were assaulted by the Separatist warship, which used one of its ion pulse cannons to disable the entire fleet's deflector shields. Completely defenseless, Koon's flotilla was destroyed by the Malevolence's turbolasers, although Koon and some of the Triumphant's clone trooper crew were able to escape in the Star Destroyer's escape pods before the cruiser was completely obliterated.
- "We're losing all our power… That energy field has left us defenseless!'"
- ―Commander Wolffe, after the Malevolence fires one of its ion cannons at the Triumphant
Manufactured by Kuat Drive Yards, the Triumphant was a Venator-class Star Destroyer in the service of the Navy of the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. Measuring 1,137 meters in length, the Triumphant had eight engines equipped, a pair of command towers, and a hologram communications system installed in one of the bridge structures. The Star Destroyer had at least one shield generator installed and had an armament of fifty-two laser cannons, eight DBY-827 heavy dual turbolaser turrets, two medium dual turbolaser cannons, four proton torpedo tubes, and six tractor beam projectors. However, none of the defensive systems were able to withstand fire from an ion pulse cannon, which was capable of disabling the Triumphant's electrical systems and leaving the ship vulnerable to attack. The Triumphant also had several escape pods that could be launched manually, even if the destroyer's electrical systems were rendered inactive.
- "And we have had no further contact with General Plo Koon. The absence of distress beacons indicates that his fleet was… that his fleet was destroyed, like the others. We are about to prepare a rescue mission."
- ―Anakin Skywalker, to Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and the Jedi High Council, following the loss of the Triumphant and the rest of Plo Koon's fleet
During the Clone Wars against the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the Triumphant served as Jedi General and Jedi Council member Plo Koon's flagship, while Clone Commander CC-3636— nicknamed "Wolffe"—served as the Star Destroyer's second-in-command. In 21 BBY, the Confederacy manufactured the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence. Under the command of the Confederate General Grievous, the Malevolence ambushed Republic vessels across the galaxy, killing everyone onboard and vanishing before the Republic could discover what exactly had attacked their ships. Among the attacks executed by the Malevolence was the annihilation of Jedi General Ares Nune's fleet in the Phu system.
After the loss of Nune's fleet, Koon and the rest of the Jedi Council met with Supreme Chancellor Palpatine to discuss the growing Separatist threat. During the meeting, Koon volunteered to lead a strike force from the Triumphant and hunt down the Malevolence. Although Koon planned to stay in constant contact with nearby Republic forces during the operation, Palpatine and Jedi Master Mace Windu believed it was still going to be a very dangerous mission. Koon's task of finding and eliminating the Malevolence was soon reported by the Republic's HoloNet News, and the Triumphant's participation was included in the report.
After being dispatched on its assignment, Koon's task force, which consisted of the Triumphant and two other Venator-class cruisers, tracked the Malevolence to the Abregado system. The Republic fleet slowly approached the distant Malevolence, with plans to assault the enemy vessel. Within one of the Triumphant's command towers, Koon and Commander Wolffe contacted Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and his apprentice, Ahsoka Tano, who were stationed in the nearby Bith system, and updated the two on their situation. However, Skywalker informed Koon that he could not assist Koon's flotilla in the upcoming battle because Skywalker himself had been ordered to secure the Bith system. Shortly thereafter, their communications were cut off, a result of being jammed by the Malevolence.
Aboard his Subjugator-class flagship, Grievous and the leader of the Separatist movement, Count Dooku—who was present onboard at the time to observe the Malevolence in action—saw the arrival of the Triumphant and its support vessels as another opportunity to test the Malevolence's powerful ion pulse cannons. The new weapons were capable of disabling the deflector shields on any ship, leaving vessels completely defenseless and vulnerable to laser fire. Grievous moved the Malevolence into attack position and ordered his battle droid crew to charge the ship's port-side pulse cannon.
Unable to direct laser fire at the Malevolence because it was out of range, the Triumphant and the rest of Koon's task force fell prey to the Malevolence's ion pulse assault. The Triumphant's crew braced for impact as the enemy's ion pulse hit the entire strike force, deactivating the Star Destroyers' shields and weapon systems. The Malevolence immediately moved in closer to the unprotected Republic fleet and fired at the Star Destroyers with its many turbolasers. Realizing that the battle was lost, Koon ordered the ship's clone trooper crew to its escape pods just as his fleet was torn apart, and a number of the Triumphant's crew survived by fleeing in the vessels' escape pods. Among the survivors were Wolffe, Koon, and two clone troopers nicknamed "Sinker" and "Boost"; all four escaped in the same pod.
After the obliteration of the Triumphant and the rest of Koon's flotilla, the remains of the three Star Destroyers formed a debris field around the Abregado system, with the surviving escape pods—lacking power, communications, and life support systems—floating around within the field. Not intending to leave any witnesses of the battle, Dooku dispatched a number of rocket battle droids aboard Droch-class boarding ships to eliminate any remaining Republic escape pods. All of the Triumphant's surviving crew members were killed by the Separatist teams, with the exception of the occupants of Koon's pod, who were able to defeat a battle droid patrol that attacked them. Koon's pod was soon rescued by Skywalker and Tano—who had come to investigate the situation at Abregado following their loss of contact with Koon's task force—aboard Skywalker's personal freighter, the Twilight.
Commanders and crewEdit
- "Do you think we have a chance, General?"
"I don't believe in chance, Commander. I know if we work together, we will stay alive, and someone will find us."
- ―Wolffe and Plo Koon, following the destruction of the Triumphant
The Triumphant was the flagship of Jedi Master Plo Koon, with Clone Commander Wolffe serving as the Star Destroyer's first officer. The Triumphant was mostly crewed by the clone troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic, including the "Wolfpack," a close-knit squad led by Wolffe that included Boost and Clone Sergeant Sinker. When the Triumphant was destroyed by the Malevolence, most of the ship's crew was killed, and the few who did escape were dispatched by the Malevolence's pod hunters. The only exceptions were Koon, Wolffe, Boost, and Sinker, who escaped the Abregado system with Skywalker and Tano aboard the Twilight.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Triumphant was first mentioned in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide publication, released on July 26, 2008. On October 3, 2008, the Star Destroyer made its first appearance in "Ambush," the premiere episode in the first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, though it was only shown briefly in the episode's opening newsreel. The Triumphant later played a main role in the second episode of the series, "Rising Malevolence"—which aired the same day as "Ambush"—being destroyed early on in the episode.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush" (First appearance) ("Newsreel" only)
- HoloNet News — A Galaxy Divided (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Shakedown (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Meet Ahsoka Tano
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- The Clone Wars: Jedi Adventures
- The Clone Wars: Forces of Darkness
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 5.2
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II ("Koon, Plo")
- "Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season One Episode Guide, Part One"—Star Wars Insider 106
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Annual 2010
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Official Episode Guide: Season 1
- The Clone Wars: Widevision (Card: A New Galactic Threat)
- The Clone Wars: Widevision (Card: Out of the Storm)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Official Episode Guide Series 1 & 2
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Shop" (Set: Commander Wolffe)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Venator-class Star Destroyer technical specifics — Based on standard
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars Annual 2011
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Clone Wars: Shakedown
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence" (Decoded)
- ↑ The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- ↑ HoloNet News — A Galaxy Divided
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia