The camp was set up by nomadic Tusken Raiders in the barren wastes off the Western Dune Sea, and was considered to be on ancient Tusken hunting territory. This area was marked by the B'Thazoshe Bridge. The huts that comprised the camp were made from animal skins stretched over a wooden or bone frame, and were easily portable in case of an emergency. The huts were arranged near a natural oasis, providing the Tuskens with a much-needed source of water. Tuskens and their domesticated massiffs guarded the site.
Shmi Skywalker Lars was taken to this camp after being captured by Tusken Raiders near the Lars homestead. It was natural for a male Tusken to take a prisoner in order to prove his prowess to the tribe, and these victims were often subject to harsh rituals in order to test the fortitude and resilience of Tusken enemies. Shmi was no exception, and when her son, Anakin, finally found her, she was barely alive. Shmi died in Anakin's arms, and the grief and rage Anakin felt at her passing resulted in his slaughter of the entire camp, during which not even women or children were spared. Their banthas presumably committed suicide after they found out about their riders' deaths since it was a common practice amongst the creatures.
In 4 BBY this place was visited by Luke Skywalker and Biggs Darklighter when driving in Darklighter's landspeeder after they shot some womp rats in Spice Siren crash place area and seeing Tusken Raiders in the distance. After watching Tusken Raiders stop at the camp, they investigated, finding the ruins of the camp. They noticed the white Bantha ribs, skulls of Tuskens cut in half, and leather strips used to tie up Shmi Skywalker. After a feeling of dread passed over Biggs and Luke, they fled the camp.
Following the incident, the site of the slaughter became known as a haunted area among the Tuskens, and prisoners were sacrificed here to appease the ghost that supposedly roamed the camp. The camp remained in its desolate form to honor the Tuskens that had perished there. Kitster Chanchani Banai was taken here in 8 ABY, intended to be one such victim, though he was saved by Han and Leia Organa Solo.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker
- The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First identified as Tusken village)
- Star Wars Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back (Vision to Darth Vader) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Tatooine Ghost
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Trading Card Game - Sith Rising (Card: )
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 64 (TAT39-40, Tatooine - Tusken Raider Camp)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The New Essential Chronology
- "Family Tradition"—Star Wars Insider 130