U-3PO was a 3PO-series protocol droid protocol droid manufactured by Cybot Galactica that had yellow sensors and silver plating. It served the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire. In 0 BBY, it was on board the Alderaanian CR90 corvette Tantive IV after the starship fled from the Battle of Scarif carrying the plans to the Death Star battle station.
After reaching the Tatoo system, the corvette was attacked by the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator. As the corvette shuddered from being struck by fire from the Star Destroyer, U-3PO rushed through the corridors behind the protocol droid C-3PO and the astromech droid R2-D2, but eventually stopped following them and turned off the corridor they were in to enter a different room. The Empire successfully captured the vehicle and defeated its crew soon after.
Behind the scenesEdit
U-3PO first appeared in the 1977 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. In the new Star Wars canon, it was first identified in the 2017 reference book Ultimate LEGO Star Wars. The name originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was first used on a card in the 1995 A New Hope Limited set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Classic Star Wars (Set: 75146 Star Wars Advent Calendar)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Helmets: Rebel Trooper) (Picture only)
- Ultimate LEGO Star Wars (First identified as U-3PO)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide states that 3PO-series protocol droids are manufactured by Cybot Galactica. As Ultimate LEGO Star Wars establishes that U-3PO is a 3PO unit, it must therefore be manufactured by Cybot Galactica.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Ultimate LEGO Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia establishes that all protocol droids are first class droids. As Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope depicts U-3PO as a protocol droid, it therefore must be a first class droid.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events depicted in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope that occur prior to the Battle of Yavin, which includes U-3PO's appearance, to 0 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: U-3PO)