- "What we have here is a giant nerfsteak coated in seasoned pom seed flour and pan-fried to perfection using an authentic recipe from Uaua."
- ―Dexter Jettster, menu for Dex's Diner
Uaua was an Outer Rim Territories planet located in the Centrality sector. It was the homeworld of the Quor'sav, a species of tall, flightless sentients with avian and monotreme traits. After a virus accidentally introduced by off-world colonists nearly eliminated the Quor'sav, they developed a distrust for members of non-avian species.
The Besalisk chef Dexter Jettster once obtained a recipe from Uaua for pan-frying a nerf steak, and as part of a tribute paid to the Galactic Republic by Uaua's star system, the Quor'sav Waywa Fybot left his homeworld to become a law enforcement officer. Decades later, Fybot revisited Uaua in a dream induced by the Flamewind phenomenon of the Oseon system.
Uaua was a terrestrial planet that was the principal world of the Ua system, a part of the Centrality sector in the Slice portion of the Outer Rim Territories. Orbiting a single star, it was situated on the Falko Run hyperlane, which linked it to the Dilonexa and Falko systems.
The planet was home to insects, and lawn lice could be found in at least one local residence's lawn. At some point, Uaua was also inhabited by birds, from which the sentient Quor'sav eventually evolved.
The avian world
At some point, colonists from other parts of the Centrality, mostly consisting of individuals of mammalian species, accidentally introduced a virus on Uaua for which mammals served as immune carriers but which was deadly to avian species. As a result, the native Quor'sav, who nearly became extinct due to the virus, became distrustful of non-avian—particularly mammalian—visitors to their homeworld, and any such off-worlders ceased to be welcome on Uaua. In addition, even the local insects seemed to target off-world individuals with particular fierceness.
The Quor'sav were already known in the wider galaxy by 22 BBY, at which point members of the species resided on Coruscant, the Core Worlds capital world of the Galactic Republic. Sometime by 18 BBY, the Besalisk chef Dexter Jettster had learned an authentic recipe from Uaua for pan-frying a nerf steak "to perfection," a fact which Jettster noted in the description for the Quor'sav-fried steak dish that formed a part of the menu at his Coruscant restaurant, Dex's Diner.
Home of a narcotics agent
- "He was […] conscripted to pay tribute owed by treaty by his system to the central galactic government."
- ―Rokur Gepta, to Lando Calrissian on Waywa Fybot while disguised as Bohhuah Mutdah
A treaty was signed at some point which forced the Ua system to pay tribute to the Republic. As part of the tribute, Waywa Fybot, a local student of the culinary arts who was deemed talented by other Quor'sav, was conscripted in a law enforcement agency and left his homeworld at some point by 22 BBY. In Fybot's view, his enjoyment of life diminished once he had left Uaua. During his ensuing career, which involved working as an undercover narcotics agent in service to the Galactic Empire, Fybot sent checks to his family on Uaua.
Sometime between 3 BBY and 2 BBY, Fybot was traveling through the Oseon system aboard Captain Lando Calrissian's freighter, the Millennium Falcon, during the local phenomenon known as the Flamewind in order to arrest the retired trillionaire industrialist Bohhuah Mutdah. The Flamewind affected the perception and behavior of beings not protected by adequate shielding, with Fybot experiencing a dream in which he was transported back to Uaua. In the dream, while the Quor'sav was walking toward his hometown, he discovered that his vestigial wing-arms had been transformed into functional wings that allowed him to fly above the town and toward his former home. After having landed and entered the building, Fybot was enjoying a meal offered by his mother before the narcotics agent suddenly woke up from the dream.
- "A gentle being, our Waywa; at heart he nurtures no ambition greater than to become a gourmet chef. […] he possesses no small talent, in the view of his fellow avians […]"
- ―Rokur Gepta, to Lando Calrissian while disguised as Bohhuah Mutdah
Uaua was the homeworld of the Quor'sav, a species of flightless sentients with both avian and monotreme characteristics. Averaging 3.5 meters in height, members of the species included both centipedes and nerf steaks in their diet. At least two Quor'sav eventually found their way off-world.
A moderately large town was situated on Uaua. It included several roofed houses, including a large building inhabited by Waywa Fybot's family. The house was built out of cement and steel beams and had a thatched roof. A magenta-colored lawn enclosed by a fence and populated by thousands of lawn lice lay adjacent to the house.
Behind the scenes
Uaua was introduced in the Wizards of the Coast roleplaying game source article "A Campaign Guide to the Centrality," which was authored by Michael Kogge and was published in Star Wars Gamer 5 on July 24, 2001. The article, which built on the 1983 The Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy of novels by L. Neil Smith and detailed the Centrality sector that was featured in that series, described the planet as the homeworld of the avian Quor'sav species.
It was not until the publication of 2008's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, however, that Waywa Fybot, an avian character introduced in the second entry of Smith's trilogy, Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon, was established to have been a Quor'sav. Thereby, the passage from Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon in which Fybot visits his species' homeworld in a dream sequence was retroactively established as the first appearance of Uaua. The 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas placed Uaua in grid square U-8.
- A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5 (First mentioned before retcon) "
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and references
- The Essential Atlas
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 275 ("Uaua")
- Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
- A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- The Essential Reader's Companion dates the The Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy, of which Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon is the second installment, to between 3 BBY and 2 BBY. The latter work establishes that decades prior to the novel's events, Waywa Fybot—a Quor'sav per The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 300 ("Fybot, Waywa")—had left his species' homeworld and became a law enforcement officer as part of a tribute that a treaty dictated the planet's star system pay to the galactic government. Since Fybot's departure from the Quor'sav homeworld—established to have been Uaua by "A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5—must have occurred at some point by 22 BBY per the aforementioned timeline information, and since The New Essential Chronology establishes that the Galactic Republic, a tens-of-millennia–old galaxy-wide government, was supplanted by the Galactic Empire in 19 BBY, Uaua and its star system must have paid tribute to the Republic.
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 300 ("Fybot, Waywa")
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 65 ("Quor'sav")
- date "13:3:28," which corresponds to 22 BBY per the reasoning here. is set on the
- Dex's Diner, at which Quor'sav-fried steak was served per , had been destroyed by the time of the events of The Last of the Jedi: Underworld, which The Essential Reader's Companion dates to approximately 18 BBY.
- The Essential Reader's Companion dates the The Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy, of which Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon is the second installment, to between 3 BBY and 2 BBY.
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Kal'Falnl C'ndros) (backup link)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Reader's Companion