Ultimate Star Wars is a canon reference book written by Ryder Windham, Tricia Barr, Adam Bray, and Daniel Wallace, including a foreword by actor Anthony Daniels, who plays C-3PO in various forms of Star Wars media. The book was released by Dorling Kindersley on April 28, 2015, and on September 1, 2015, a special edition with frame images, props, and behind-the-scenes shots of the cast and crew of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, as well as two behind-the-scenes prints, was released. The reference book features info on characters, locations, weapons, and vehicles pulled from various corners of Star Wars canon.
In October of 2019, an updated edition of the book, which featured info from Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, and Star Wars Resistance, was released.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
First edition[edit | edit source]
Ultimate Star Wars® is an in-depth visual feast exploring the characters and storylines from the Star Wars galaxy. This is a beautifully illustrated guide that is structured chronologically and packed full of information about key characters and storylines from the Star Wars movie saga, The Clone Wars, and Rebels. The perfect primer before Episode VII is released, Ultimate Star Wars will get old and new fans caught up and knowledgeable on all things Star Wars.
Special edition[edit | edit source]
Your ultimate guide to the Star Wars™ universe
Open this ultimate visual feast and explore the iconic characters and storylines from the Star Wars galaxy. Beautifully illustrated, Ultimate Star Wars is packed with information about every single character from Mace Windu to Darth Maul through detailed analyses of their stories throughout the saga.
Explore the Star Wars universe in chronological order to follow the whole story or dive in and out to relive your favourite moments, key battles and iconic characters. A must-have for Star Wars fans, Ultimate Star Wars will enhance your knowledge of the characters and storylines before the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Including characters from the Star Wars movie saga, Star Wars Rebels and the Clone Wars, this is the only guide that explores the entire Star Wars universe in such detail.
Includes concept art, wire frame images, props and behind-the-scenes shots of cast and crew from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, plus two beautiful behind-the-scenes prints.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Adi Gallia's homeworld is listed as Tholoth. However, both Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know and Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded listed her homeworld as Coruscant.
- AQ-series battle droids are incorrectly stated to be droid tanks (p. 247).
- The Elders are stated to have been extinct natives of Naboo when Rise of the Separatists later stated that they were offworld colonists.
- The dewback's figure is translated into nine meters, despite the species' Databank entry translating it as being two.
- Even Piell's species and homeworld are erroneously given as Zabrak and Nar Shaddaa respectively (p. 58), repeating what appears in the adjacent entry for Eeth Koth. This has been corrected in later editions.
- Gor, General Grievous's pet, is stated to have been the killer of Nahdar Vebb, when it was actually Grievous himself who killed Vebb, as seen in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Lair of Grievous."
- Slave I is incorrectly referred to as Clone 1 on two occasions.
- TIE/ln space superiority starfighters built on Lothal are incorrectly said to be different from regular models due to shorter wings (p. 294).
- Kendal Ozzel's first name was misspelled as "Kendel," which Lucasfilm Story Group's Pablo Hidalgo confirmed to be a typo. Likewise, Wullf Yularen's first name was misspelled as "Wulff."
- Wedge Antilles is incorrectly credited with stealing the Lambda-class T-4a shuttle Tydirium (p. 298).
- Dathomir and the whole Quelli sector are incorrectly placed in the Mid Rim instead of the Outer Rim Territories.
- The Mos Espa Grand Arena and its outskirts are indicated to be at the junction of Xelric Draw and the Northern Dune Sea, while Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know placed it on the edge of the Western Dune Sea.
- Scipio is stated to be located at the Core Worlds instead of the Outer Rim Territories. According to Jason Fry, this was an editing mistake.
- The book claims Luke Skywalker gave Lor San Tekka the fragment of the Map to Skywalker, but this is incorrect.
Media[edit | edit source]
Editions[edit | edit source]
- ISBN 1465436014; Dorling Kindersley, April 28, 2015, 320-page hardcover
- ISBN 0241007909; Dorling Kindersley, September 1, 2015, 320-page hardcover special edition
- ISBN 9780241245101; 2015; Dorling Kindersley Limited; UK hardcover, The Book People Ltd edition
Cover gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology