Umbara, known as the "Shadow World" due to the lack of sunlight on its surface, was a planet located within the Expansion Region. The planet was also an exporter of doonium, a metal utilized in the construction of starships. During the Clone Wars, the planet was initially part of the Galactic Republic before seceding to join the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The planet subsequently fell under the power of the Galactic Empire. During the Imperial Era, Captain Thrawn suppressed an uprising on Umbara that had been engineered by the shadowy insurgent leader Nevil Cygni.
Umbara was a planet in the Expansion Region that experienced no sunlight on its surface, earning the name "Shadow World." Situated within the occluding Ghost Nebula, Umbara was cut off from the rest of the galaxy. This resulted in the development of advanced technologies that far exceeded the galactic standard by the native Umbarans, though it was difficult for non-Umbarans to use the technology. Among these breakthroughs was a gas that stimulated soldiers to fight longer and harder.
Umbara also had large doonium reserves, which led to the emergence of a substantial mining and refining sector in its economy. The planet was also known to have several moons including an outermost one.
The Umbarans had been members of the Galactic Republic since the government's founding, but, despite their long history of taking part in the galaxy's politics, they always prioritized their homeworld over the galactic government. Despite this and the Umbaran's reputation of being deceitful and employing self-serving schemes, Umbara displayed faultless loyalty to the Republic during the Separatist Crisis, a time of political crisis where thousands of star systems seceded from the Republic and joined Count Dooku's Confederacy of Independent Systems. When the Clone Wars broke out between the Republic and Separatists, Umbara remained a staunchly loyalist world.
Umbara was represented by Senator Mee Deechi in the Galactic Senate of the Republic, who aggressively supported for increased military spending. However, following Senator Deechi's assassination, Umbara defected to the Confederacy. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic would launch an invasion of the Shadow People's homeworld. Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi, Saesee Tiin, Anakin Skywalker, and Pong Krell led the assault with the 501st Legion and the 212th Attack Battalion. During the fighting, the clones battled Umbaran mobile heavy cannons, Impeding Assault Tanks, Umbaran hover tanks, and Umbaran starfighters. In the end, General Krell was revealed to be a traitor and was killed. Republic forces took Umbara.
Shortly after landing, Anakin Skywalker was called back to Coruscant at Chancellor Palpatine's request. Krell took over the 501st in Anakin's absence. After Krell betrayed the 501st Legion by telling them that the soldiers of the 212th Attack Battalion were actually Umbarans disguised as clone troopers, Clone Captain Rex realized Krell was working for the Separatists. The Clone Sergeant Dogma, feeling betrayed killed Krell while they were in custody of the Clones, and was himself taken into custody.
During the Imperial Era, the pirate and insurgent leader Nightswan instigated an uprising on Umbara in order to facilitate the Imperial takeover of Umbara's mining and refining sector. Nightswan thought it would be easier to bribe the Imperial inspectors rather than their Umbaran counterparts. Despite resistance from former Separatist Vulture droids, Captain Thrawn helped secure an Imperial victory by convincing Commander Alfren Cheno, who was part of the task force, to bombard a ground-based transmitter on Umbara's outermost moon despite Admiral Carlou Gendling's orders not to. Gendling was furious with Thrawn and Cheno eventually retired due to the incident.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only) (DLC)
- Jedi of the Republic – Mace Windu 2 (Mentioned only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "An Old Friend" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Mentioned only)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Mentioned only)
- Alphabet Squadron (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Thrawn
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3
- ↑ Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"