- "I will not be contained. I cannot be redeemed. Death is all that remains, and you will not kill me."
- ―The Emperor, speaking through his Voice
A Human male was utilized by the Sith Emperor of the reconstituted Sith Empire as the Emperor's Voice, the host of the Sith ruler's immortal essence, during the Galactic War with the Galactic Republic. After the death of his previous Voice, the Emperor transferred his consciousness to the Human and gathered his strength on the Imperial capital planet of Dromund Kaas, preparing to perform the ritual of Sith magic that would allow him to consume all life in the galaxy. However, the Jedi Knight known as the Hero of Tython foiled his agent's attempts to start the ritual, and the Emperor used the Voice to battle the Jedi when the Knight confronted the Sith in the depths of the Dark Temple on Dromund Kaas—a battle that ended with the Voice's death.
- "We are again aware of the Voice. Preparations are being made to secure a new host, but the rituals take time."
- ―Servant One of the Emperor's Hand
In 3640 BBY, during the Galactic War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, the Sith Emperor was trapped in his current Emperor's Voice—the host body for his immortal essence—when the Sith Lord Darth Baras lured the Sith ruler to the ancient ruins known as the Dark Heart on the planet Voss. The Emperor and his Voss host were unable to leave the Dark Heart, as the Ancient Halls of the Dark Heart were built in a way that prevented any Voss from leaving once they entered, and the Sith was forced to fight the dark side entity Sel-Makor for control of the Voice. However, the newest Emperor's Wrath, the Emperor's personal executioner, freed the Emperor by killing the Voice, and the Emperor's essence returned to the care of his servants in the organization known as the Emperor's Hand.
The Hand secured a Human male for the Emperor to use as his newest Voice, and the Sith ruler took full possession of his host on the Imperial capital planet of Dromund Kaas. Now free to continue the preparations for the dark side ritual by which he would consume all life in the galaxy, the Emperor traveled to the Sith edifice known as the Dark Temple with an escort of Sith and members of the Imperial Guard. The Emperor then gathered his strength in the Temple's inner chambers, awaiting the moment that he could begin his ritual, but his plans were foiled when the Jedi Knight known as the Hero of Tython prevented the Emperor's servants from achieving the mass sacrifice that the Emperor required. From the fallen Jedi Tol Braga, the Hero learned the Emperor's location on Dromund Kaas, and the Knight decided to confront the Sith ruler while he was weakened.
The Hero and a crew of allies infiltrated Dromund Kaas and the Dark Temple while a Republic invasion fleet attacked the Imperial capital, and the Emperor's Voice waited in the Dark Temple's inner chambers as the Knight and the astromech droid T7-O1 fought through the Imperial Guardsmen and Sith defending the Emperor. The Emperor used his Human host to battle the Knight and T7-O1, summoning multiple phantom copies of the Voice with the Force to overwhelm his opponent. However, the battle ultimately saw the Jedi victorious, and a greatly weakened Emperor relinquished control of the dying Voice—who had been mortally wounded by the Knight's final lightsaber strike—in order to return to his true body. As a final act of vengeance, the Emperor used the Force to bring down the Dark Temple upon the Hero and T7-O1. Though the pair escaped the collapsing building, the Voice's body was crushed under tons of rubble.
Personality and traits
The Human male had pale, wrinkled skin and orange eyes, and he spoke with the Emperor's own emotionless voice while possessed by the Sith ruler. As the Voice of the Emperor, the Human's mind was completely subjugated by the Emperor's consciousness, and each of his actions were orchestrated by the Sith.
Powers and abilities
Behind the scenes
- "While you silenced Darth Baras, the Jedi attempted the impossible feat of destroying the Emperor. Instead, they merely defeated the Emperor's true Voice. The unexpected blow was a shock. The Emperor's consciousness was wrenched from his Voice."
- ―Servant One, in a message to the Emperor's Wrath
The Human male first appeared as "The Emperor" in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare and LucasArts in 2011, in the Jedi Knight-class mission "Doomsday" on Dromund Kaas, and he is voiced by Doug Bradley. However, a message from Servant One of the Emperor's Hand to the Sith Warrior confirms that the Human male whom Jedi Knight players face in "Doomsday" is actually only a Voice of the Emperor, acquired by the Hand after the death of the previous Voice during the Sith Warrior storyline on Voss. The Human also appears in the 2012 reference guide Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, in pictures of the Hero of Tython's skirmish with the Emperor on Dromund Kaas.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia date the finales of Star Wars: The Old Republic's class storylines in 3640 BBY, and place the subsequent Battle of Ilum at the end of that same year. and
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Doomsday" on Dromund Kaas
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "The Voice of Darkness" on Voss
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—The Emperor's Absence from Servant One of the Emperor's Hand
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught—Mission: "Echoes of Oblivion" on Odessen
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Imperial Agent Mission: "Paying Respects" on Voss establishes that the imposter Bas-Ton has been on Voss for five years, and he was sent there to infiltrate Voss society after the Sith Empire's invasion of the planet failed. Additionally, Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places the events of Act III, which include Voss, in approximately 3640 BBY; thus, the invasion of Voss occurred in approximately 3645 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia establish that the Battle of Ilum and the end of Act III for the class storylines of Star Wars: The Old Republic occur in late 3640 BBY and prior to the events of The Old Republic: Annihilation, which is also set in 3640 BBY per The Essential Reader's Companion. Annihilation establishes that the Treaty of Coruscant collapsed approximately eighteen months prior, or in 3641 BBY, and as Act III occurs after the treaty's collapse, the act begins sometime between 3641 BBY and 3640 BBY. This article assumes that Voss, as the middle of Act III, takes place around the start of 3640 BBY. and