A Human male captain served with the Imperial Navy, commanding an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer during the aftermath of the Battle of Hoth in 3 ABY. During the search for the Rebel freighter Millennium Falcon in the Hoth asteroid field, the Captain appeared in holographic form during a conference of twenty Imperial battleship commanders also participating in the search. As the conference, led by the Dark Lord Darth Vader, progressed, the bridge tower of the Captain's Star Destroyer was hit by a massive asteroid, obliterating the ship and killing him.
Biography[edit | edit source]
In 3 ABY, a fair-skinned Human male Imperial captain commanded one of the Imperial II-class Star Destroyers participating in the search for Han Solo's YT-1300 light freighter, the Millennium Falcon, in the aftermath of the Battle of Hoth. Solo, along with Princess Leia Organa, his Wookiee co-pilot Chewbacca, and the protocol droid C-3PO, had fled the Rebels' Echo Base on Hoth and, due to a broken hyperdrive, were forced to hide within one of the many asteroids in the Hoth asteroid field to avoid being captured by the Imperial Death Squadron.
The Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader desired to capture the crew of the Millennium Falcon to use them as bait for capturing his son, Luke Skywalker. In an attempt to find the Falcon, Vader ordered Death Squadron into the asteroid field, and many Star Destroyers suffered heavy casualties under the continual bombardment of asteroids.
This captain was present in holographic form during a conference of twenty other battleship fleet commanders aboard the Star Dreadnought Executor, Vader's flagship, to discuss the whereabouts of the Millennium Falcon. During the conference, the bridge tower of this captain's Star Destroyer was hit by a large hurdling asteroid. The collision resulted in both his death and the destruction of his ship as the captain's holographic image faded quickly away.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
This unidentified Star Destroyer captain first appeared in the 1980 novelization of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. In the film, this officer is portrayed by Stephen Buchanan, who was uncredited for the role, and is only briefly seen in holographic form.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back novelization (First appearance) (Appears in hologram)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Empire Strikes Back Notebook
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Official Collectors Edition (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- "The Ultimate Empire Strikes Back Insider's Guide"—Star Wars Insider 49
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Reflections II: Expanding the Galaxy (Card: Out Of Commission & Transmission Terminated) (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The New Essential Chronology dates the events of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, concurrent with its novelization, to 3 ABY.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back novelization
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Original Trilogy Autographs. Yubnub.de. Archived from the original on June 29, 2017. Retrieved on February 14, 2015.