- "So then one day this Jedi Knight came in. You heard of them?"
"They were a sort of peace officer before the Empire. People said they used some kind of magic. Anyway, this Jedi Knight offered to play both of the gamblers. The first took off and never came back; the second played him and lost."
"So he used his magic on the second guy's dice."
"No, he said he didn't do anything. He didn't have to. What was it he said? 'The honest person only fears losing. The cheater fears discovery, and does so long after the die is cast.'"
- ―Ganzer and Kaljach Sonmi
A male Jedi Knight of the Jedi Order visited a diner frequented by two hustlers who had been winning meals off of patrons by rolling chance cubes and offered to play them sometime before the rise of the Galactic Empire. One gambler fled, while the other played him and lost. The Jedi Knight then remarked on how an honest person would only fear losing, while a cheater would fear discovery. The construction worker Ganzer, a patron of the bar who had twice lost to the hustlers, witnessed this. In 34 ABY, Ganzer, who by then was the bartender of Ganzer's Grotto on the planet Cantonica, told the story of the Jedi Knight to his friend Kaljach Sonmi while they discussed The Lucky Three, a trio of Suerton gamblers whom Sonmi had recently encountered.
Behind the scenes
The Jedi Knight was mentioned in John Jackson Miller's 2017 short story "The Ride" in the novella collection Canto Bight, released as part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi multimedia project.
- "The Ride"—Canto Bight (First mentioned, simultaneous with Canto Bight audiobook)
- Canto Bight audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- "The Ride"—Canto Bight
- "Resistance Revisited" – Star Wars Insider 190 establishes that six months before the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens corresponds to thirty years after the Battle of Endor, which in turn corresponds to 34 ABY, according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary states that the events of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi take place in the same year as the Starkiller Incident, which Galactic Atlas also places in 34 ABY. Since dates the events of the Canto Bight collection to a few days before the events of The Last Jedi, which is set after The Force Awakens, the events of "The Ride," in which Ganzer tells the story of the Jedi Knight, must take place in that year.