- "The ritual begins. She will strike me down and pledge herself as a Sith. She will draw her weapon. She will come to me. She will take her revenge, and with a stroke of her saber, the Sith are reborn. The Jedi are dead!"
- ―Darth Sidious, referring to Rey, before his followers within the Sith Citadel throne room
During the war between the First Order and the Resistance, the resurrected Sith Lord Darth Sidious attempted to perform a ritual on his granddaughter Rey prior to the Battle of Exegol. Within the Sith Citadel, Sidious intended for Rey to strike him down before the Sith Eternal throne to initiate a ritual that would allow his spirit to seize control of Rey's body. However, the Jedi refused to fall to the dark side of the Force and Sidious was ultimately unable to perform the ritual, dying shortly afterwards at the hands of Rey.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
This Sith ritual was first mentioned in Star Wars canon in the 2019 film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, the third and final installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The ritual was based off of Transfer essence, which was originally first mentioned in Star Wars Legends in the comic Dark Empire 2: Devastator of Worlds, written by Tom Veitch which was released on February 18, 1992, and first appeared in Dark Empire 5: Emperor Reborn, which was authored by Veitch, penciled by Cam Kennedy, and released on August 18, 1992.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook (Mentioned only)