A false Jedi came to the planet Shili at some point during or between the years 36 and 33 BBY to enslave the Force-sensitive child Ahsoka Tano before she joined the Jedi Order. Tano's life was put at risk during her encounter with the false Jedi; however, the young Togruta's ability to sense Jedi through the Force saved her. Jedi Master Plo Koon would soon visit Shili and discover Tano, whom he brought back to the Jedi Temple for training.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "So this here was a character called Latrans that I was investigating, developing and it was a Jedi that appeared very fair and seemed very kind and had all the things that you'd like to attribute to a Jedi: the flowing robe, the kind of long, graceful hair, a beautiful alien look. But actually, and I think the next slide shows you this, but it was actually a bounty hunter in disguise, and I had surmised that because Jedi children were very rare and imbued with the Force that there would be people in the galaxy that would want to kidnap them and take them away."
- ―Dave Filoni
The false Jedi was first mentioned, albeit indirectly, by Star Wars: The Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni in a featurette about the three-episode Zygerria arc from The Clone Wars' fourth season, released as part of the Season Four boxed set on October 23, 2012. Filoni said that the "coyote people" look of the Zygerrian species, which made their canon debut in the arc, had originally been developed for a "trickster" character, the false Jedi, in an as-of-yet unreleased story written by Filoni which would show how Ahsoka Tano was found by the Jedi Order. The false Jedi was later mentioned in the novel Ahsoka, written by E. K. Johnston and released on October 11, 2016.
Months before Ahsoka's release, sketches of the false Jedi—named Latrans—were shown at Celebration Europe in 2016, during the Ahsoka's Untold Tales Panel held on July 15. The first part of the panel showcased sketches by Dave Filoni for the story he had written of Tano's discovery by the Jedi. The story would see an alien female Jedi, Latrans, come to Tano's town on her homeworld Shili to take the child back to the Jedi Order. In truth, however, Latrans would be revealed to be a bounty hunter posing as a Jedi Knight in an attempt to kidnap Tano. A true Jedi, Master Plo Koon, would soon arrive and take Tano back to the Jedi Temple to be trained. A small portion of this story, showing Koon with Tano on Shili, was seen in the opening "newsreel" of "The Gathering", a Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode that aired on November 3, 2012.
The story, Filoni said, would show that you should not "judge a book by its cover" and "the way someone looks can deceive you", as the beautiful look of Latrans, the story's villain, would stand in stark contrast to the more "creepy" and "sinister" appearance of the Kel Dor Plo Koon, the story's hero.
Filoni presumed that, due to the rarity of Force-sensitives in the galaxy, they were highly sought after and some may have attempted to kidnap them. The residents of Tano's town, having never met a Jedi before, would have been none the wiser to Latrans' ruse.
The first of the three Latrans sketches showcased during the panel showed her wearing Jedi robes. The second was concepts of her bounty hunting outfit, and the third gave a closer look at her hair. At the panel, Filoni also restated that Latrans' design went on to inspire the Zygerrians' design in The Clone Wars. He said that, while Zygerrian queen Miraj Scintel had a "rat-like" look, he wanted Latrans' appearance to more resemble a "coyote person", as she would be a trickster, deceiving the people of Shili into believing she was a Jedi.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Four (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- According to Ahsoka Tano was three years old when she joined the Jedi Order and 14 years old when she was apprenticed to Anakin Skywalker during the Battle of Christophsis, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in the year 22 BBY. Knowing that Tano was 14 during this battle, we can use simple math to place her birth year at 36 BBY. Since the false Jedi came to Shili prior to Tano joining the Jedi Order, which occurred when she was three and therefore in the year 33 BBY, Tano must have had her encounter with the false Jedi either during or between 36 and 33 BBY. ,
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Four
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide