In 3 ABY, a wampa that lived outside of Echo Base on Hoth attacked Luke Skywalker and his tauntaun shortly before the Battle of Hoth, killing the tauntaun and dragging the unconscious Skywalker into its cave. As the wampa devoured tauntaun meat, Skywalker was eventually able to regain consciousness and free himself using his lightsaber, slicing off the wampa's right arm just before it could strike him. The wampa eventually recovered enough strength to venture out of its cave once more.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The wampa first appeared in the 1980 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. In the Star Wars Legends reference book Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy, this wampa was identified as two seperate creatures, a female wampa called One-Arm and an unidentified male. This wampa is the Canon counterpart to both of these creatures.
While the Star Wars Day-at-a-Time Calendar 2020, released in 2019 by Trends International LLC, states that the wampa was killed, the 2020 short story "Hunger," written by Mark Oshiro and published in the book From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, establishes that the wampa eventually recovered in strength to leave its cave once again.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. the Wampa - Cavern Escape"
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- "Hunger"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Indirect mention only)
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars Movie Short: Wampa Woes
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon" (Appears in flashback(s))