- "The Unifying Force bind the stars and planets in space and time. Through this Force, a Jedi can sense the past and future."
The Unifying Force was a view of the Force, accepted by a minority of Jedi throughout ages. The Unifying Force was thought to be present in all shining stars, surrounding and penetrating them, thus making all universal things connected by it. The Jedi believed the Unifying Force relied on their understandings and were attuned to space around them. The Unifying Force was believed as having neither the light nor the dark side. The dark and light sides are instead conceptualized in a metaphorical way, treating all beings equally. Followers of the Unifying Force always kept their eyes open for future possibilities. In the end, it resulted in them trying to fulfill a destiny rather than focusing on here and now, which was one of the main tenets of the Living Force philosophy.
Visions of the future were of particular significance to Unifying Force supporters. Yoda was one of the most adamant proponents of heeding visions of the future, though he did not adhere to many of the other views common with the Unifying Force. Many of these Jedi believed a similar philosophy focusing on the flow of time as a whole, ignoring primary use of the Living Force. Voices for the latter espoused a philosophy of "live for the moment" and heavily relied on their instincts. This viewpoint might have allowed the Jedi Order to stave off the conflict that gave rise to the Galactic Empire, as its members lost themselves in looking forward rather than analyzing the unfolding events before them. Yoda later espoused beliefs closer to the philosophy of the Living Force when training Luke Skywalker on Dagobah.
Ironically, Emperor Palpatine, known as Darth Sidious, also supported this belief in the Unifying Force. He agreed that there was only one Force: the only difference worthy of note was that the Sith saw the Force as a means to an end while the Jedi saw it as an end in itself. This view was also supported by Vergere, who taught Jacen Solo that there was no light side or dark side of the Force—only the Unifying Force. Vergere also told Solo that "the Force was everything, and everything was the Force;" that the Force did not have sides and never took sides. However, the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis disagreed with this belief. His own studies of the Force had indicated to him that there was a clear and obvious distinction between the light and dark sides.
- Knights of the Old Republic 6: Commencement, Part 6 (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Cloak of Deception
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First mentioned)
- (Mentioned only)
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer (Mentioned only)
- Lone Wolf: A Tale of Obi-Wan and Luke
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (First appearance)
- The Dark Side Sourcebook
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- LEGO Star Wars: The Dark Side (Non-canonical source)