Universal Energy Cages were large and were designed with superconductor energy feedback systems that could contain the Force powers of a Jedi and reflect them back twofold. Additionally, the captured Jedi would be restrained in a repulsor field within the cage, and the bars housed an automatic stun system that would shock whoever touched it. Many were installed on Imperial Dungeon Ships. They cost 100,000 credits.
Inquisitor Valin Draco captured Jedi Master Vhiin Thorla during the Great Jedi Purge using such a cage. Silri, a Nightsister who worked for the Zann Consortium, was once captured by the Galactic Empire in a Universal Energy Cage.
Luke Skywalker and R2-D2 were both detained in such a cage en route to the reborn Emperor Palpatine. The Yuuzhan Vong defector Elan and her familiar Vergere were transported to Nim Drovis in an energy cage.
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Dark Empire (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Handbook 3: Dark Empire
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 25 (UNI1-2, Universal Energy Cage)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual