- "In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy, far, far away, and we've been dreaming of it ever since. We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete."
- ―David Benioff and D.B. Weiss' joint statement
A new Star Wars film series is currently being developed by Lucasfilm. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the creators and showrunners of HBO's Game of Thrones, are set to write and produce the film series.
The film series was announced by Lucasfilm on February 6, 2018 on StarWars.com. Benioff and Weiss confirmed they will start working on the film series once Game of Thrones airs its eighth and final season (during the filming of which George Lucas visited the set and helped direct a scene) in 2019. On February 10, 2019, HBO President Casey Bloys clarified that Benioff and Weiss will work on a Star Wars film trilogy upon finishing Game of Thrones but before beginning production of their upcoming history drama series Confederate.
According to Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Benioff and Weiss are collaborating with Rian Johnson, who is working on his own series of Star Wars films. In May 2019, the four will meet to "lock down" their plans for their films.
- "The conclusion that we reached was three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but to really gear up for the next films released."
- ―Disney CEO Bob Iger
In September 2018, Bob Iger said that there would be a "slowdown" on the release of Star Wars films, because he felt there had been "a little too much, too fast." (He reaffirmed this in April 2019: “We will take a pause, some time, and reset … There will be other Stars Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”) On May 7, 2019, Disney released its 2020–2027 theatrical release schedule, which revealed that Star Wars films are scheduled to hit theaters in 2022, 2024 and 2026.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Evangelista, Chris (May 14, 2019). 'Star Wars' Film From 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Confirmed to Follow 'The Rise of Skywalker'. slashfilm.com.
- ↑ Hibberd, James (April 01, 2019). George Lucas secretly visited the Game of Thrones season 8 set.
- ↑ Whitbrook, James (April 17, 2019). George Lucas Helped Direct a Scene of the Game of Thrones Premiere. io9.gizmodo.com.
- ↑ Confederate Delay Is Independent of Controversy, HBO Boss Says. TVLine. tvline.com (2019-02-08). Retrieved on February 11, 2019.
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (April 13, 2019). Lucasfilm putting the Star Wars movies 'on hiatus' after this year. ew.com.
- ↑ McMillan, Graeme (April 12, 2019). Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy on Planning "Next 10 Years" of Star Wars Films.
- ↑ Belloni, Matthew (September 20, 2018). Bob Iger Talks Disney's Streaming Service, 'Roseanne,' James Gunn and a Coming 'Star Wars' "Slowdown". The Hollywood Reporter. hollywoodreporter.com.
- ↑ Star Wars Movies Will Take a Break After Episode IX, Disney Says. Bloomberg. Bloomberg.com (April 11, 2019).
- ↑ Lang, Brent (May 7, 2019). Disney Moves 'Avatar' Sequels, Announces New ‘Star Wars’ Films. Variety. variety.com.