- "When people ask me, 'Don't you think people are going to get sick of 'Star Wars' movies?' to me that question indicates that they're thinking of 'Star Wars' movies as a museum exhibit that is wheeled out once a year so you can say, 'Oh, I loved that thing. Oh, I remember that thing!' And yes, if 'Star Wars' is that, people are going to get sick of it really quickly. But if 'Star Wars' are great new movies that are exciting and fresh, and that challenge you and surprise you and make you feel things and engage you the way that those original movies did — but always taking you to new places, both in the galaxy and emotionally — that's never going to get old. That's what it's all about."
- ―Rian Johnson
A new Star Wars trilogy will be created by Rian Johnson. Johnson, who wrote and directed Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, will write and direct the first film of the trilogy, and the film will be produced by longtime collaborator Ram Bergman. The films will be separate from the Skywalker saga and will explore new characters from an unexplored area of Star Wars lore. The new trilogy was announced by Lucasfilm on November 9, 2017, with no release date yet set.
- "No it isn’t true, I’m still working on the trilogy. With all due respect to the movie bros, who I’m sure are lovely kind bros with good fraternal intentions."
- ―Rian Johnson on Twitter dispelling rumors of cancellation
After a positive experience making The Last Jedi, Johnson pitched the idea of the trilogy, which would "go someplace new, meet some new folks, tell a new story."
On January 16, 2018, Johnson teased more details about his trilogy, indicating that he hasn't ruled out the possibility of including some familiar characters from the other films. On September 4, Johnson revealed that the trilogy's first film will be released once he finishes filming of his thriller film Knives Out, starring Daniel Craig. On February 13, 2019, Rian Johnson confirmed that his trilogy was still slated to happen, dispelling rumors that his trilogy had been cancelled. According to Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Johnson is collaborating with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who are working on their own series of Star Wars films. In May 2019, the four will meet to "lock down" their plans for their films.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ Lussier, Germain (December 4, 2017). Last Jedi Director Rian Johnson on His New Trilogy and the Fundamental Power of Star Wars. io9. io9.gizmodo.com. Retrieved on December 4, 2017.
- ↑ Cavanaugh, Patrick (January 16, 2018). Rian Johnson Teases Where His New Star Wars Trilogy Is Going. ComicBook.com. ComicBook.com. Retrieved on February 22, 2018.
- ↑ Kitchener, Shaun (September 4, 2018). Star Wars’ Rian Johnson casts James Bond star Daniel Craig in new movie ahead of trilogy. Express. express.co.uk. Retrieved on September 4, 2018.
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (April 13, 2019). Lucasfilm putting the Star Wars movies 'on hiatus' after this year. ew.com.
- ↑ McMillan, Graeme (April 12, 2019). Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy on Planning "Next 10 Years" of Star Wars Films.