- "People are rising up all over the galaxy. Poe. We did it."
"We did it."
- ―Finn and Poe Dameron
A galactic uprising against the First Order was caused by the Resistance's victory on Exegol, where the Sith Eternal's Final Order was destroyed along with their Emperor, Darth Sidious. While the Resistance celebrated on the planet Ajan Kloss, other worlds openly rebelled against the Sith's allies, the First Order, attacking its forces on Bespin, Endor, Jakku, Naboo, Corellia, Lothal, Thyferra, and Coruscant.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
- "We are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order down."
- ―Poe Dameron, to the Resistance
Emerging from the Unknown Regions to seize military control over the galaxy, the First Order, the successor to the Galactic Empire, conquered and came to rule large swathes of the galaxy. With the New Republic having collapsed as a result of a First Order attack, First Order fleets and armies spread across the galaxy. Entire worlds and systems capitulated to the military dictatorship in order to avoid direct conflict, while in other parts of the galaxy, surviving New Republic senators and commanders dissolved their remaining task forces in order to defend their own homeworlds, dividing the galaxy. However, the First Order was opposed by the Resistance, who sought to inspire rebellion to bring down the First Order and restore the New Republic. During the First Order's pursuit of the Resistance, Kylo Ren killed and usurped Supreme Leader Snoke, but he was ultimately unable to capture the Resistance due to the sacrifice of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, allowing the Resistance to continue their war against the First Order and inspire others.
Supreme Leader Ren later discovered a living Darth Sidious, the former Emperor, on Exegol, alongside a cult of followers and a massive military force set to bring the galaxy under the control of a new Sith Empire known as the Final Order by force through a fleet of Sith Star Destroyers with the technology to destroy entire planets. Sidious, who revealed himself to be behind Snoke and the First Order, offered Ren the Final Order if he killed Rey, the last Jedi and his granddaughter. Eventually, however, Ren instead renounced the dark side and the First Order, reclaiming his birth identity as Ben Solo. Nevertheless, Allegiant General Enric Pryde pledged his loyalty to the Emperor, who, in turn, ordered the Sith fleet to prepare for deployment across the galaxy.
After discovering a safe route to Exegol, the Resistance attacked the hidden Sith world to prevent the Sith fleet from deploying. The Resistance was reinforced by a citizens' fleet made up of thousands of volunteer ships from all over the galaxy. Together, they destroyed much of the Sith fleet, including Allegiant General Pryde and his First Order command ship, while leaving the remaining Sith Star Destroyers trapped on Exegol without a way to navigate out of the planet's atmosphere due to destroying their navigational source. Meanwhile, Rey channeled the Jedi of the past to defeat Sidious, sacrificing herself in the process, but was resuscitated by Solo, who gave his life to revive her. Following their victory, the Resistance and citizens' fleet retreated from Exegol, during which time General Finn learned that people all over the galaxy were rising up and relayed this information to General Poe Dameron.
Uprising[edit | edit source]
- "Everyone's so afraid. They've given up."
"No, I don't believe you believe that. Hey. They win by making you think you're alone. Remember? There's more of us."
- ―Poe Dameron and Zorii Bliss
Across the galaxy, the First Order's forces were attacked by the populations that they had subjugated through military strength. Open rebellions occurred on many worlds, including Bespin, Jakku, Endor, Coruscant, Naboo, Corellia, Lothal, and Thyferra. At least one First Order Star Destroyer was destroyed on each of the planets of Bespin, Jakku, and Endor. The uprising on Endor was witnessed by at least two Ewoks, Galactic Civil War veteran Wicket W. Warrick and his son Pommet.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Star Wars Book (Indirect mention only)
- "The Final Order and the Battle of Exegol" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- (First identified as uprising against the First Order)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker as taking place one year after the "Starkiller Incident." As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Starkiller Incident to 34 ABY, it can be deduced the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker take place in 35 ABY.
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Poe Dameron 29