They were essential to the desert ecosystem, as their diet prevented decaying corpses from spreading lethal diseases—their bare skin undermined the collection of bacteria. With their delicate olfactory senses, urusais rode the rising thermals of the blue Tatooine sky, nesting under eaves and on cliff outcroppings.
Females had two wings, while males had four—the larger rear wings were used for flying, while the smaller front ones were strictly for mating displays. Balancing on their strong tails, they wooed prospective mates, who laid two to three eggs per brood. In a harsh microcosm of Tatooine's brutality, the first young to hatch destroyed the remaining eggs—unless two had hatched simultaneously, whereupon the chicks would duel until one fell to the ground.
They formed a symbiotic relationship with Sarlaccs (specifically with the gigantic females) - urusai clean the teeth and tentacles of the female Sarlacc while the female Sarlacc offers up killed food to her flying reptavian custodians, which also may nest near her.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Episode I: The Gungan Frontier (First appearance)
- Empire 8: Darklighter, Part 1
- Tatooine Ghost
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- The Art of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 35 (TAT27, Tatooine - The Great Pit of Carkoon)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 114 (TAT59, Tatooine Wildlife)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia