- "You came here to get something. I can sense it. You want my lightsaber."
- ―Kirak Infil'a deduces Darth Vader's intentions
A green-bladed curved-hilt lightsaber was owned by Jedi Master Kirak Infil'a during the early stages of the Jedi Purge. Infil'a used this lightsaber on the river moon of Al'doleem while taking his Barash vow. In 19 BBY, Infil'a was killed for his lightsaber by Darth Vader, who sought to replace his own. Afterwords, Darth Vader traveled to the planet Mustafar to bleed the kyber crystal inside Infil'a's lightsaber, turning the blade a crimson red. Vader used the saber when he hunted Jedi Master and Chief Librarian of the Jedi Archives, Jocasta Nu. The lightsaber was destroyed during an assassination attempt on Vader's life, and the saber's kyber crystal was repurposed for Vader's next lightsaber.
The lightsaber that was owned by Kirak Infil'a, and later Darth Vader, was curved in design. It had a black pommel that extended outward and had metallic plating around the handle and emitter. The saber had a green blade caused by the green kyber crystal inside it. The lightsaber had a red blade after the crystal was bled by Darth Vader.
The Barash vowEdit
- "For my transgessions, I took the Barash vow, to live alone inside the force, until my true path as a Jedi became clear"
- ―Kirak Infil'a to Darth Vader
Kirak Infil'a was a Master in the Jedi Order who lived during the era of the Galactic Republic. During or prior to 32 BBY, Kirak Infil'a took a Barash vow and went into self imposed exile at the Jedi Monastery on the river moon of Al'doleem. With his lightsaber, Infil'a would train against the Jedi training droid Arex, until his true path as a Jedi became clear. Infil'a was aware of the Jedi Purge that occurred in 19 BBY, being able to sense the deaths of almost every Jedi through the force. Despite this, Kirak Infil'a upheld his Barash vow, and continued to train on the river moon.
In 19 BBY, while sparring against Arex, Kirak Infil'a sensed the arrival of a dark presence. The pair witnessed a dark ship landing within one of the chasms surrounding the Jedi Monastery. Aboard the ship was Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader, who had arrived to defeat Infil'a in combat and take his lightsaber as a replacement for his own. Aware that Darth Vader was responsible for the deaths of many Jedi and that his life was know in danger, Infil'a declared his Barash vow complete and demanded Vader duel him atop the mountain Passval. He then had Arex open the Sluice gate which flooded the chasm and trapped Vader.
Duel against the Dark LordEdit
- "You will not defeat me that way, creature. You will not defeat me at all."
- ―Kirak Infil'a to Darth Vader
Atop Mount Passval, Kirak Infil'a waited for Darth Vader's arrival. Infil'a taunted the Dark Lord as he stumbled up the steps, his cybernetic suit now in shambles. Now at the mounts summit, Vader used the force to push away Infil'a and grab Arex. Vader tore off Arex's arm, grabbed his Electro sword, and tossed the droid off the mountain. Now armed, Vader and Infil'a began their duel. During the duel Infil'a stated that he knew Vader had come for his lightsaber. He also hypothesized that it was not Vader who was responsible for the Jedi Purge, but rather a master. The duel was cut short when Vader's exposed cybernetic leg gave way, leaving him crippled. Infil'a declared that he would track down and kill Vader's master and restore the Jedi, right before he used the Force to push Vader off the mountain and into the canyon.
Convinced the dark creature was dead, Kirak Infil'a headed down to Am'balaar City to retrieve his starfighter. There, he reunited with the Tholothians Jogg and Mareena, who had been keeping his starfighter stored in their garage. As the group began to repair the old ship, Infil'a once again sensed the dark presence. Atop the city dam stood Darth Vader, his cybernetics rebuilt with parts from Arex. Vader demanded Infil'a duel him once again atop the dam.
As Infil'a and Vader dueled, a trio of local police officers approached the foes, and demanded they cease hostilities. Vader used the force to push the authorities off the dam, but they were quickly caught by Infil'a who lowered them down with the force. While Infil'a was distracted, Vader began to use the force to destroy the dam. As the city began to flood, Vader grabbed Infil'a's lightsaber and force choked the Jedi master to death.
Bleeding the crystalEdit
- "Corrupt the kyber crystal. Teach it your pain. Teach it your anger. Hear it sing a hymn of darkness. Make it bleed."
- ―Darth Sidious to Darth Vader
With his new lightsaber, Darth Vader journeyed to the planet Mustafar to finish his goal. Darth Sidious instructed Vader to corrupt the kyber crystal within Kirak Infil'a's lightsaber and to bend it to the dark side's will. Vader dismantled the lightsaber in a Sith cave located on the Gahenn Plains of Mustafar. Upon examining the green kyber crystal Vader was met with a powerful force vision. In this vision, Vader expressed extreme remorse and guilt over his actions. He then reassembled the lightsaber and reported back to Darth Sididous on Coruscant. A Jedi reborn, Vader dueled and killed his former Sith master in his own office. The force vision ended with Vader reuniting with his former Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi to ask for forgiveness.
Back in the Sith cave, Darth Vader denied these visions and began to pour the dark side of the force into the kyber crystal. As energy buzzed through the cave, Vader was given glimpses of his past life; including that of Obi-Wan and his deceased mother and wife. This powerful surge of energy bled the once green kyber crystal into a crimson red.
On Coruscant, Darh Vader presented his completed Sith lightsaber to Sidious.
- "You have no concept of the power I wield! […] You will die!"
- ―The Grand Inquisitor to Darth Vader
Sometime after the duel against Kirak Infil'a, Darth Vader was alerted by Darth Sidious to an intruder within the Jedi Temple archives. In the Jedi archives was a hooded figure, seeking knowledge that was once denied to him. When confronted, the hooded figure revealed his red-bladed lightsaber and began to duel Darth Vader. During the battle, the robed intruder was revealed to be a male Pau'an wielding what in actuality was a double-bladed spinning lightsaber. Convinced he had the upper hand, the Pau'an taunted Vader and began to spin his double-bladed lightsaber. At this moment, Vader revealed he was merely testing the capabilities of his repaired suit. In one swift move he destroyed the mysterious intruders lightsaber. Before the battle could go any further, Darth Sidious revealed himself and demanded Vader stop. Sidious then introduced Vader to the mysterious "intruder", the Grand Inquisitor, the first of the Jedi hunters known as the Inquisitorius.
Once Jedi themselves, the Inquisitors were a group tasked by Darth Sidious to hunt down any remaining Jedi. To the confusion of the Inquisitors, Darth Vader was given reign over the Inquisitorius. As their leader, Vader dueled the inquisitors to gauge their strengths and to teach them a lesson of loss. As none stood a challenge against him, Vader maimed and dismembered several of the inquisitors with his lightsaber.
The hunt for Jocasta NuEdit
- "We will begin by hunting those Jedi who may have survived Order 66. A target list."
- ―Darth Vader to the Grand Inquisitor
- "You are certain, father?"
"Yes, daughter. Do your part, and we will do ours."
- ―Chanath Cha and her father, shortly before their ambush on Darth Vader
Darth Vader's lightsaberEdit
- "I see you have rebuilt your lightsaber, Lord Vader. May I see it? Yes an improvement, I think. The hilt you took from master Infil'a did not suit."
- ―Darth Sidious, examiningn Darth Vader's new lightsaber.
Vision to VaderEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 2 (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 3 (First appearance)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 4
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 5
- "Darth Vader and the Weapon of a Sith"—Galactic Adventures Storybook Collection
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 6
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 7
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 8
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 9
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 10
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 11
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 12 (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 25 (Vision to Darth Vader)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 3
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 11
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 4
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 5
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 2 states that "[Kirak Infil'a] has been on his pilgrimage since before [Darth Vader] entered the Jedi temple". Darth Vader is inducted as a Jedi in the film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of The Phantom Menace in 32 BBY. As such, it can be deduced that Kirak Infil'a began his Barash vow either during or before the year 32 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ "Darth Vader and the Weapon of a Sith"—Galactic Adventures Storybook Collection
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 6