The Utai were a species of short, stubby humanoids with distended eyes that hailed from Utapau. They shared their homeworld with the Pau'ans as well as with immigrated species, including groups of Amani and Sugi. Being the smallest of the two native species, they were nicknamed "Shorts."
The Utai made up the labor class on Utapau, as they were humble by their nature, while the Pau'ans made up the modest patricians, planetary administrators, and politicians. Utai were skilled at creature handling, mechanical work, piloting, and vehicle and starship repairs. The two races, collectively known as the Utapauns, had a symbiotic relationship and lived in cities that were constructed into Utapau's massive sinkholes. Their shared homeworld remained neutral in the Clone Wars, a galactic conflict fought between the Confederacy of Independent Systems and Galactic Republic until, in the year 19 BBY, the Confederacy invaded the planet. Feigning acceptance of Separatist rule, the Utai and Pau'ans prepared to rebel.
Notes and references
- "Scarif and Other Outer Rim Planets" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 94 (Starship Fact File: Porax-38/Rogue-class Fighter)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas establishes that the mission to Utapau and the Battle of Utapau took place in 19 BBY. As "A Death on Utapau" establishes that Utapau was not under the control of the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the mission, while Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith depicts the planet under CIS occupation by the battle, the invasion must have occurred between the two events. Therefore, the invasion also took place in 19 BBY.