The v-150 Planet Defender, also known as the v-150 ion cannon, was a model of planetary ion cannon designed to disable capital ships. Often deployed in conjunction with planetary shields, its purpose was to defend planets while the shields reached full power. It could disrupt Star Destroyers with a single ion bolt, however its stationary nature made it vulnerable to attack, and its blast shield was required to retract in order to utilize the cannon. It was also equipped with an independent power generator buried roughly 40 meters below the weapon emplacement.
Prior to the Battle of Hoth, the Alliance to Restore the Republic used a v-150 to allow their transports to slip past Imperial Star Destroyers. Coordinated by Commander Toryn Farr, the cannon did its job well and disabled at least one Destroyer, the Tyrant, allowing the first of the rebel transports, the Quantum Storm, to escape into hyperspace. The cannon was later destroyed during the battle.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense (First identified as v-150 ion cannon)
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Battle Pod
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- "In Service to the Empire"—Empire Ascendant 1
- "Epilogue"—Empire Ascendant 1
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Beasts of Echo Base"
- Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- AT-AT Attack!
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 1 (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as v-150 Planet Defender)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Galactic Explorer's Guide
- (Indirect mention only)