- "All right, listen up. I don't like these rust buckets and I don't like our odds, but...just keep it tight and don't get drawn in too close till they roll that cannon out front."
- ―Captain Poe Dameron, to "Reb" Squadron
Roche Machines' V-4XD ski speeder was a low-altitude airspeeder used by the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War. The ski speeder used a stabilizer strut to keep balance when moving across alien terrain. The strut could be retracted so that the speeder could gain some altitude, but this would often make the craft experience severe wobbling.
Roche Machines originally sold the V-4 series of ski speeders for asteroid slalom racers. However, the sport shut down after a group of racers was destroyed by a stone mite infestation. The vehicles then found new life when they became popular among explorer groups, who modified the ski speeders for various tasks.
The Rebel Alliance brought a number of these to the planet Crait while attempting to reactivate a base used by the early Rebellion. The rebels decided against using the facility due to dangerous weather conditions and Imperial discovery. After a skirmish with an Imperial commando squad, the remaining speeders were left behind on the planet.
The same speeders were later recovered and used by the Resistance during its conflict with the First Order in 34 ABY. Thirteen of the leftover speeders, which had been stripped down almost to their barest components, were deployed during the Battle of Crait against the attacking First Order Army.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First canonical appearance) (DLC)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Storms of Crait 1
- Star Wars: Commander
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel audiobook
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 5
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 6
- Choose Your Destiny: A Finn & Poe Adventure (Mentioned only)
- (First pictured)
- (First identified as Resistance Ski Speeder)
- (First identified as Single Pilot Operator)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (Set: 75202 Defense of Crait)
- Star Wars Insider 177 (First identified as V-4X-D Ski Speeder)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Activity Book with Stickers
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Official Collector's Edition
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars Day-at-a-Time Calendar 2021
- Star Wars: Fascinating Facts
- "Explosives, Heavy Weapons and Unstable Elements" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- "Land, Sea and Air Speeders (I)" – Star Wars Encyclopedia